RE: RE: Features at Risk: Attaching Policies Using UDDI

>Why is W3C putting [1] in question?

The W3C Process permits a WG to define features "at risk" [1]:

In the Call for Implementations, the Working Group MAY identify specific features of the technical report as being "features at risk." General statements such as "We plan to remove any unimplemented feature" are not acceptable; the Working Group MUST precisely identify any features at risk. Thus, in response to a Call for Implementations, reviewers can indicate whether they would register a Formal Objection<http://www.w3.org/2005/10/Process-20051014/policies.html#FormalObjection> to the decision to remove the identified features.

As far as the WG knows their have been no public interop events to demonstrate the interoperability of this feature.  And there have certainly been no events that would test the W3C WS-Policy 1.5 CR description of this feature.

The WG is discussing this matter and some WG members want to be conservative in our exit criteria.  It is important to note that if we are forced to remove a feature due to lack of interoperability proof and it is not declared 'at risk' when we enter CR stage then the resulting specification (without the feature) COULD NOT advance directly to PR (e.g. we would have to go back to Working Draft status).

/paulc

Paul Cotton, Microsoft Canada

Tel: (613) 225-5445 Fax: (425) 936-7329

mailto:Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com