NEW ISSUE: Policy Attachment to WS-Addr EndpointReferences

From: Glen Daniels <gdaniels@sonicsoftware.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 10:25:59 -0400
To: <public-ws-policy@w3.org>

Title: Policy Attachment to WS-Addr EndpointReferences

We do not currently have a specification for what it means to attach
WS-Policy to an EPR as defined by WS-Addressing [1].  We need one.

Justification:

WS-Addressing is becoming more and more integrated with the WS-* stack,
and putting metadata such as WS-Policy into an EPR is a common use case.
It's critical that we have a clear and accurate description of how this
should work, what is expected of the entities constructing and consuming
EPRs containing policy, and where the points of flexibility lie.

Target:

Attachment spec.

Proposal:

Insert new section 5 before current one in PolicyAttachment spec -
"Attaching Policies To EndpointReferences".  This section should explain
that policies in EPRs function much like policy associated with the
Endpoint Policy Subject defined in 4.1.2.  We should take care to
discuss precedence concerns between WSDL and EPRs passed at runtime, and
between new versions of EPRs exchanged as part of an ongoing
conversation.

--Glen

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/REC-ws-addr-core-20060509/#eprs