Re: Comment: document title

Mark Nottingham wrote:

> This text:
>
>>     A type of the binary element information item must be a type
>> derived from or equal to  xs:base64Binary or xs:hexBinary.
>

> implies that the content must be typed. As it sits, it's ambiguous; I
> read it to mean that typing is required. A *very* careful reading might
> interpret it as saying something else, but most readers will walk away
> from this statement convinced that it needs to be typed, and a majority
> will walk away thinking that it needs to be typed using XML Schema.
>
> If the intent is to only constrain the value *if* it is typed, something
> like this would be more appropriate:
>
>> If a type is associated with a binary element information item, it
>> MUST be derived from xs:base64Binary or xs:hexBinary in the case that
>> the XML Schema type system [ref] is in use; when other type systems
>> are in use, the type MUST be equivalent to them.
>

> (The definition of 'equivalent' between type systems seems a little
> shaky here)
>
> OTOH, if the intent is to constrain the content of the element,
> something like this would be more appropriate:

Yes, that is the intent.

>> The content of a binary element information item MUST conform to the
>> lexical constraints of xs:base64Binary or xs:hexBinary.

That is certain a better way to say it. Or if we wanted to be more
precise (and perhaps we should) we could say:

The character information items comprising the [children] of the element
information item MUST conform to the lexical constraints of
xs:base64Binary and xs:hexBinary.

(but this is a mouthful)