Re: attributes & WSDL (was: Re: attributes in CORBA IDL)

"Umit Yalcinalp" <umit.yalcinalp@oracle.com> writes:
> >Is that an accurate statement of where this discussion seems to
> >be saying?
> >

> Not quite. I think you are summarizing Savas' point of view, not
> necessarily the rest of the task force's thinking or discussion up to
> this point for those points 2 and 3 above.
>
> We have discussed exploring a verbal contract and/or a binding contract
> for the attributes in order for the client to be able to get/set those
> values so that there may be a way of not defining the functions (2) in
> the interface, but there is a clear way of
> accessing the values using the binding. We have not explored how this
> can be done in detail yet, but our feeling, (this is my understanding)
> has been to explore this contract part of the WSDL regardless of whether
> functions are within the interface or not.
> After all, the contract for the client must be well defined to access
> these values.

The summary I wrote down did have a way for the clients to get the
values: I said the semantics are as per OMG IDL- which means
that there must be a getFoo() for every attribute Foo etc.. Language
bindings such as JAXRPC can select how to expose that to the user,
but the semantic must be via a method just like in IDL.

Without that I agree that its a vacuous specification. Savas, do
you not agree?

The operation cannot be per binding. Otherwise no kind of binding
independent DII (ala WSIF) is possible to deal with attributes.

Sanjiva.