Kevin

From: David Booth <
<mailto:dbooth@w3.org?Subject=Re:%20Clarification%20needed:%20Part%203%2
0sec%202.8.1%20and%202.8.2:%20soap%20fault%20codes&In-Reply-To=%3C110288
5186.3268.437.camel@nc6000.w3.org%3E&References=%3C1102885186.3268.437.c
amel@nc6000.w3.org%3E> dbooth@w3.org>
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 15:59:46 -0500
To: public-ws-desc-comments@w3.org
<mailto:public-ws-desc-comments@w3.org?Subject=Re:%20Clarification%20nee
ded:%20Part%203%20sec%202.8.1%20and%202.8.2:%20soap%20fault%20codes&In-R
eply-To=%3C1102885186.3268.437.camel@nc6000.w3.org%3E&References=%3C1102
885186.3268.437.camel@nc6000.w3.org%3E>

Regarding part 3 sec 2.8.1 and 2.8.2: soap fault codes, the meaning of

the {soap fault code} seems unclear.

Does the fault message type determine the soap fault code, or vice

versa?  For example, given the following:

<binding . . . >

  <fault ref="tns:myFaultMessage"

	wsoap:code="foo" />

</binding

which of the following interpretations applies?

a. If the actual error condition causing the fault corresponds to SOAP

code foo, then transmit a fault of type tns:myFaultMessage.

b. If the actual error condition causing the fault corresponds to

tns:myFaultMessage, then transmit SOAP code foo.

If (a) is the correct interpretation, then what happens if an error

corresponding to a different SOAP code occurs?  Does this imply that a

tns:myFaultMessage will NOT be sent if the SOAP code is NOT foo?

--

David Booth

W3C Fellow / Hewlett-Packard