RE: Asynchronous Service Access Protocol (ASAP)

Dear Steve, Charlton and others,

I am probably missing something obvious here and opening my mouth and
inserting foot!!

I actually would not expect to see ASAP reference CDL except perhaps in an
example or tutorial session, and neither would I expect it to reference
BPEL.

As I understand it ASAP is the definition of a particular utility protocol,
as are WS-CAF, WS-C/AT/BA, BTP and countless others.  I would not expect any
of these to reference WS-CDL, unless their specification writers decided to
use WS-CDL to define, or as one of the definitions of the protocol.

So I see the relationship as this: ASAP is a protocol that could be
described using WS-CDL, but equally it could be described in text, UML,
ebBP, SDL and a number of other protocol description / definition
techniques.

The systems that are able to make use of this protocol could be described
using BPEL, but equally well could be described using text, UML, Java, C and
so forth.

Could be an interesting first step to see if you can persuade some other
group in W3C to include a WS-CDL of the protocol it is specifying perhaps as
an appendix to the specification.

Best Regards     Tony
A M Fletcher
Tel: +44 (0) 1473 729537   Mobile: +44 (0) 7801 948219
 tony.fletcher@choreology.com    amfletcher@iee.org       (also
tony_fletcher@btopenworld.com)