Re: Straw-man Proposal for our mission statement

At 10:21 +0100 5/13/03, Steve Ross-Talbot wrote:
><x-flowed>Jim,
>
>you make a good point and I admit to being deliberately vague about
>what "validated" might mean. I think I would prefer to change that part
>to the following:
>
>... whereby each participants involvement can be validated where
>validated means checked for compatibility and verified for conformance
>to the defined observable behaviour where possible ....
>
>Or something like that. I'm concerned at one level not to promise
>things that are totally academic and not practicable and on the other
>hand set a bar high enough that we have to stretch to get there. It's a
>case of what could we do today vs what could we reasonably be expected
>to do tomorrow and ensuring that success can be measured in either
>dimension.

I think this is a helpful change - what I was really getting at was
that we need some way to make it clear we are talking about "online"
behavior, rather than off.  What I mean is that when I order a part
from Daniel's company, I would want the choreography to have a
validatible part where they promise to get me an "acknowledgement" -
I'm not sure whether in the choreography it should say that that part
will arrive at my lab three days later, but I would definitely not
expect the choreography to contain some sort of statement that the
"choreography inspector" will come to my lab three days later to
validate the physical arrival of the book...  I suspect no one here
things of "validate" as referring to these "side effects" of the
transaction, but I thought the mission/vision statements need to make
that clear...

>So in a nutshell I want a mission statement that is achievable at one
>end of the spectrum and visionary (but not out of reach) at the other
>end and so would require a stretch. If we meet the minimum then we can
>tick the initiative as being successfull and if we manage to stretch we
>can look back and say wow!
>
>Cheers
>
>Steve T

absolutely +1 to that goal!