Re: Multi-Party Binding Scenario

Ricky Ho wrote:

> Assaf,
>

>> If we can't look into the message we don't know what the shipping
>> address is and we can't ship the product. We don't know what the
>> billing address is and can't send an invoice either. So obviously
>> these messages can't be used in a choreography.
>

> But you can have a human print out the PDF and look into the billing
> address.
>
> Rgds, Ricky

Absolutely true, which is why I sent a use case that shows how it
actually gets done. The PDF document is received by some medium (TCP,
FedEx, curier piegeon), information is entered at some terminal, it
becomes an XML message that the participant can process subject to the
choreography.

But there's also a use case for not looking into an attachment like a
PDF but just routing it around, which is more common. In this case you
don't care what the attachment contains bit by bit (in the choreography
context), you don't express anything about its contents (XPath or
otherwise), so there's no need to convert it to XML.

I understand why XPath would be problematic if we just say: everything
should be expressed as XML. But I think what we're trying to capture is:
here's the important information that affects the choreography flow as
expressed by the choreography. Use XML to deal with it. The rest is
opaque, even if it's XML.

arkin

--
"Those who can, do; those who can't, make screenshots"

Assaf Arkin                                          arkin@intalio.com
Intalio Inc.                                           www.intalio.com
The Business Process Management Company                 (650) 577 4700

If you are not the intended recipient, dissemination of this
communication is prohibited. If you have received this communication
in error, please erase all copies of the message and its attachments
and notify us immediately.