Beyond WSDL (was Re: [Requirements] Non-requirement for MEPs)

At 10:37 -0500 3/17/03, ChBussler@aol.com wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I think it is preferrable not to be restricted to WSDL, but also
>allow for the inclusion of other definitions/mechanisms.
>
>Christoph

I agree w/Christoph.  In particular, I think that this WG could do a
great service to the community if we build our specs around the
assumption that there is some kind of "grounding" at a service level,
but stay as independent of implementation details as possible.  If we
did that, we would immediately allow the results of our WG to be
applied to grid computing, to devices using UPnP or other such
protocols, and to many govt applications where the infrastructure is
dictated by either legacy approaches or specific needs differing from
those in the commercial world.  Each of these three would represent a
significant new market for service "choreographers" -- and I believe
that the choreography level would be the appropriate level of
abstraction for bringing these many types of services together (note
also that this would be within our charter, but would also
dfferentiate us a bit more from the WSA WG and WSD WG which are more
focused on WSDL and web services more narrowly defined).
  -JH
p.s. let me be clear, I think that our primary target remains
composition/choreography of web services defined in WSDL, but if we
develop an approach that spans beyond this, then we will be creating
a more widely usable spec that could create significant new markets
for WS-oriented companies.

http://www.cs.umd.edu/users/hendler