RE: Why workflow is NOT just a Pi-process

From: Howard N Smith <howard.smith@ontology.org>
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2003 13:18:58 +0000
To: public-ws-chor@w3.org

JC R said:

>IMO, a BPM standard should be more than a web-services orchestration and choreography standard - it also needs to
>incorporate business semantics. This is especially true if we intend BPM standards and standard-based BPM products
>to subsume the current workflow systems.

I think a process technology must be neutral to business semantics. It should not impose one way of thinking about
business. Our approach with BPML or BPEL is:

- to allow it to transport business semantic information
- to allow process reuse so that developers can capture semantically meaningful idioms and reuse those in other processes

Howard

---

New Book - Business Process Management: The Third Wave
www.bpm3.com

Howard Smith/CSC/BPMI.org
cell +44 7711 594 494 (operates worldwide, dial UK)
office +44 20 8660 1963