RE: [wsbpel] Federated Processes and BPMS Topology

From: Harvey Reed <hreed@sonicsoftware.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2003 12:13:41 -0500
To: "'Howard N Smith'" <howard.smith@ontology.org>
Cc: public-ws-chor@w3.org, wsbpel@lists.oasis-open.org, "'Andrew Berry'" <andyb@whyanbeel.net>

My 2 pennies follow:

> Howard wrote:
>
> Now, this is quite different from the issue of interoperability between
> different BPMS products.
> I think the approach we took at BPMI.org was to assume that, as with
> databases, end users would
> be less interested in BPMS to BPMS interoperability then they would the
> opportunity to consolidate processes
> from multiple systems (as with RDBMS data aggregation).

Yes, most companies will buy sets of software from a vendor. The biggest
value of a standard will be in the design/implement language (like SQL,
XQUERY, BPEL) for the purposes of enabling a workforce. Making products work
vendor-to-vendor will happen over time.

> Howard wrote:
>
> We saw BPMS as being the enabler to practically
> share processes, as Web Services allows the sharing of functions and RDBMS
> the sharing of data. In this
> respect we were not in the p2p, b2b, very extended, very loosely-coupled
> camp. Although, we accept some
> vendors might be. Rather, we would see a gorilla in an industry managing
> BPMS operations on behalf of
> a trading group, and, last mile connectivity into the value chain might be
> provided by, for example, deploying
> an agent based approach at the periphery.

Our products are in the loosely coupled/distributed arena. Personally I see
both models being very useful and complimentary. The trading group example
is similar to a VAN like GEIS/EDI, except much more sophisticated.

BTW, I'm glad we abandoned pi-c for this thread.

++Harvey