Re: Progressive Concreteness of Choreography binding

Ricky Ho wrote:

> At 12:06 AM 4/3/2003 -0800, Assaf Arkin wrote:
>
>> Patil, Sanjaykumar wrote:
>>
>>> Ricky, I agree with all of your points.
>>>
>>> I also see how your design is more modular, but I guess I need to
>>> understand a bit more the practical motivations behind/benefits of
>>> this design.
>>>
>>> Personally I was assuming the reason behind an abstract process in
>>> your example was to support the choreography between multiple
>>> participants. I guess a choreography between multiple participants
>>> can be defined by laying out the sequence, the direction of message
>>> exchanges and the few properties that drive the exchange of
>>> messages, etc (that is without depending much on the service
>>> descriptions), and hence I thought the abstraction in your example
>>> justifiable.
>>>
>> Can't that be achieved by defining the choreography in terms of WSDL
>> operations which are not specific to one particular service?
>

> Are you talking a future form of WSDL which support inheritance and
> parameter overloading ?

I'm talking about WSDL as it currently stands.

If you add inheritence and parameter overloading you get more reuse and
that's a good thing. You can do more compositions by extending existing
definitions (and implementations) instead of rewriting everything from
scratch. But you can get a lot done with WSDL as it stands.

> Or are you talking about an arbitrary WSDL which has an XSL/T
> transformation attached to it.  In this case, the WSDL doesn't need to
> be non-specific to particular service ?

I'm talking about the WSDL abstract definitions. There is no XSL/T
transformation attached to it.

As part of binding to a specific protocol you may want encoding rules
and some of these rules can be expressed in XSL/T but there are other
oprtions. As part of binding to a specific implementation you may also
want transformation, but that's an implementation detail.

For example, the abstract message may define the message as containing:

shipTo
billTo

All buyers and sellers agree that this is the information carried in the
message and they can all reference it in the same way.

Some implementation may have an internal structure defined as:

shipAddr
billAddr

Internally that implementation may use XSL/T (or other means) to map
to/from the abstract message, so it can talk in one language with
everyone else, yet retain its implementation independence. You don't
care about what the implementation does, only about the lingua franca.

Some protocol may decide to structure things differently, for example:

addresses
  billing
  shipping

So only those services that use that protocol would convert the abstract
message to that particular representation when they send/receive
messages over that protocol. But if they happen to use other protocols
they could encode the abstract message in other ways. You are still
talking lingua france since you're talking to others in terms of the
abstract message, even if you choose to encode it differently for
different protocols.

So the abstraction lets you define the common language that everybody
talks, while allowing varience of implementations and allowing multiple
different protocols to be supported at the same time.

arkin