RE: Asynch TF TBDs and options

Umit shares the same opinion Marc does. :-)

What I was advocating was that we don't necessarily need a new binding,
but an extension to the binding which tweaks the current requirement
that the SOAP message be carried in the HTTP rules.

> > Discussion
> >
> > Is there a need for a WSDL author or SOAP stack to differentiate
> > between something like: 1) one-way mep + one-way binding or 2) one-
> > way mep + in-optional-response binding?
> >

> > 2. MEPs
> >
> > At least one new SOAP MEP is required.  Currently, one-way
> wsdl mep
> > is not describable.

+1.

> > a. One new SOAP MEP that is optional-out.
> >
> >   a.1. The mep has a "property" that can be set for whether out is
> > disallowed, allowed, or required.
> >
> >      a.1.1 In-optional-out
> >
> >      a.1.2 Optional-in-optional-out.  Let's not go into the issue
> > of property for setting cardinality of in right now...
> >
> >   a.2. The mep does not have a property for the cardinality of the
> > out.
> >
> > b. Two new SOAP MEPs: in-only and in-optional-?
> >
> >   b.1 in-optional-fault
> >
> >   b.2 in-optional-out
> >

> > Discussion.
> >
> > Option a requires less "spec"ese for the meps.  The WSDL must set
> > the "property".  For example, in-only that maps to a soap in-
> > optional-out means the WSDL spec must "set" the out property to
> > disallow response.
> >

> Option a makes the mep more complex but there's only one of them.
> Option b makes the meps simpler but there's two of them. Its really
> just a question of where you put the complexity - right ?

+1.  I am more inclined to see (b). In both cases, you need a "marker"
to indicate what option you have, whether a property or via a URI that
designates which MEP you use. Perhaps it is a bottom up approach, but
once you solve b, you can always have (a) as the next step. This is
because you will always need a URI to designate a SOAP MEP (necessary
condition). For option b it is sufficient, for (a) it is not.

> Marc.
> >

> > Option b.2 facilitates WSDL 2.0 robust-in-only and in-optional-out.
> >

> > 3. WSDL 2.0 without WS-Addressing
> >
> > WSDL 2.0 without WS-Addressing cannot describe the "protocol
> > switch" scenario or the "In-out one-way protocol" scenario.

> > a. WSDL 2.0 can describe Protocol Switch
> >
> > b. WSDL 2.0 can describe In-out one-way protocol scenario.

I gather you mean SOAP/HTTP in SOAP/SMTP out?

There is always option c. WSDL does not describe a Protocol Switch.

To be more accurate, the modeling of Protocol switch may be modeled on
top of basic WSDL interactions, higher level extensions, etc.

> > Cheers,
> >
> > Dave

--umit