Re: What problem are we trying to solve?

Marc,
  This is off-topic for CR33 but I do think there has been much confusion
around why RM did what they did and hopefully what follows will help
people's understanding of RM's thinking behind their decision.

  The issue of whether or not we could have used the WSA Anon came down to
two points.  First, WSA is pretty clear that anon means the current
connection's backchannel.  There wasn't unanimous consensus that extending
it to mean some subsequence backchannel was allowed. There are two cases
here, one where the original backchannel is gone (an error condition), and
since we're in an error case WSA's rules no longer apply, RM kicks in and
it (rm) can define whatever semantics it wants at that point.  The other
case though doesn't involved an error condition, rather the original
backchannel was used for something other than the application response -
e.g. an RM CreateSequence needed to flow.  Would it then be ok for the app
response to flow on a subsequence http response flow?  As I said, there
was no unanimous agreement that it would be ok to reinterpret WSA's Anon
semantics in this way.
  The other reason for defining a new URI is for identity.  We needed a
mechanism by which we could correlate (or identify) anonymous endpoints.
When a MakeConnection came into the server and it looked for possible
messages to send back we needed some way for us to locate messages
targeted to that anonymous client.  Here, again, there were several
issues.  First, with all of the heated discussions around EPRs and
identity it was felt that it would be safest to limit identity to just the
wsa:Address portion of the EPR.  This is very consistent with how we think
people are using EPR's today - the wsa:Address identifies the
endpoint/resource of interest - the ref-p's are not part of that equation,
rather once they're turned into Headers they are there to help the
receiver of that message do its proper processing/routing.  And this then
relates to the another issue related to using ref-p's - should the sender
of the message that has these ref-p's as soap headers be expected to do
anything with those headers?  This would be getting into some new
territory for implementations.  Asking an endpoint to look at anything
other than the wsa:To address of an outgoing message was felt to be a
change to the current WSA processing model (if not soap itself) and we
tried very hard to not change either one of those.
  So, given all of these questions (and there were probably more but I
think these were key) we felt that rather they trying to
overload/reinterpret Anon, or trying to change the processing model for
outgoing messages, we could simply follow WSA's lead and define a new URI
and assign whatever semantics we wanted w/o fear of clashing with people's
current understanding of an existing URI.

This then brings us back to our subject line "what problem are we trying
to solve?"  While questioning the need for RM to define a new URI is a bit
related to CR33, it is not at the heart of the issue.  At some point in
the future of Web Services someone may need to define some new target
address whose semantics do not exactly match those of Anonymous or None,
and the current WSDL marker does not allow for this possibility.  So, IMO,
CR33 is simply about whether or not WSA will allow for this flexibility in
the future.

Hope this helps.

thanks
-Doug