From: public-ws-addressing-request@w3.org
[mailto:public-ws-addressing-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of David Orchard
Sent: Wednesday, 15 November 2006 6:51
To: public-ws-addressing@w3.org
Subject: Alternative Proposal for WS-Policy Assertions

I've taken MarcH's Updated Proposal and done a substantial change to the
proposal.  I'll characterize MarcH's proposal as the "opt-in" style,
where the default is nothing specified and the assertions have to be
added to opt-in.  An alternative is the "opt-out" style, where the
default is everything is specified and the assertions are to opt-out.

This proposal defines three new elements for use in WS-Policy.

(i) <wsaw:AddressingRequired/> - the endpoint requires WS-Addressing,
optionality can be conveyed using WS-Policy constructs.  By default,
Anonymous Responses and Non Anonymous Responses are supported.

(ii) <wsaw:NoAnonymousResponses/> (a child element of
<wsaw:AddressingRequired>) - the endpoint cannot send replies using WS-A
or other anonymous; the endpoint can send to any anon if not present.

(iii) <wsaw:NoNonAnonymousResponses/> (a child element of
<wsaw:AddressingRequired>) - the endpoint cannot send replies using
other addresses; the endpoint can send to other addresses if not present
(unless some other assertion adds a class of supported addresses). Note:
The "NoNon" is a bit strange but it works in this case.

Here are some examples:

<wsp:Policy>
   <wsaw:AddressingRequired/>
</wsp:Policy>

Means that addressing is required and both anonymous and non-anonymous
replies are supported.

<wsp:Policy>
   <wsaw:AddressingRequired>
     <wsaw:NoAnonymousReplies/>
   </wsaw:AddressingRequired>
</wsp:Policy>

Means that addressing is required and only non-anonymous replies are
supported.

<wsp:Policy>
   <wsaw:AddressingRequired>
     <wsaw:NoNonAnonymousReplies/>
   </wsaw:AddressingRequired>
</wsp:Policy>

Means that addressing is required and only anonymous replies are
Supported, this includes anonymous replies defined by other
specifications.

<wsp:Policy>
   <wsaw:AddressingRequired>
     <wsaw:NoNonAnonymousReplies/>
     <wsfoo:NoNonAnonymousReplies/>
   </wsaw:AddressingRequired>
</wsp:Policy>

Means that addressing is required and anonymous replies other than those
defined by wsfoo are supported.

[TR]: That's not what the above example says, I think - shouldn't that
be <wsfoo:NoAnonymousReplies/> ?

<wsp:Policy>
   <wsaw:AddressingRequired>
     <wsaw:NoAnonymousReplies/>
     <wsaw:NoNonAnonymousReplies/>
     <wsfoo:NoAnonymousReplies/>
   </wsaw:AddressingRequired
</wsp:Policy>

Means that addressing is required and anonymous replies other than those
defined by wsfoo are supported.

[TR]: Again, that's not what the example says, I believe. I read it as
saying that regular replies (other than those addressed to "none") are
NOT accepted, and no wsfoo anon are accepted either. This looks like the
example immediately below.

<wsp:Policy>
   <wsaw:AddressingRequired>
     <wsaw:NoAnonymousReplies/>
     <wsaw:NoNonAnonymousReplies/>
   </wsaw:AddressingRequired
</wsp:Policy>

Wouldn't be too useful for anything other than a one-way message since
neither anonymous nor non-anonymouse replies are supported.

<wsp:Policy>
   <wsaw:AddressingRequired>
     <wsaw:NoAnonymousReplies/>
     <wsaw:NoNonAnonymousReplies/>
     <wsfoo:AnonymousReplies/>
   </wsaw:AddressingRequired
</wsp:Policy>

Means that addressing is required and only wsfoo anonymous replies are
supported.

Cheers,
Dave