Re: Jury Instructions/ Preliminary Agenda for 2006-11-06 teleconference

Katy,

I continue to be concerned that (1) below is a false dichotomy, as there
are two largely separate issues involved.

One issue is whether there should be some sort of extension point -- not
necessarily the one I proposed -- for describing what sort of addresses
are and are not acceptable beyond the ones WSA defines (i.e., anon and
none).  This is larger than WS-RX, though WS-RX is of course a driving
use case, and independent of the notion of "back-channel" or
"anonymous".  From the mailing list, there appears to be at least some
support for opening this issue, including (IIUC) the person who filed
CR33.  It is also in line with the findings of the async task force.

The other issue is whether we should define (or allude to, or allow
others to define, or mention but leave undefined ...) some notion of
"back-channel" beyond what we say in the SOAP binding about the anon
address.  If so, there is the separate issue of how to define this.  My
impression, perhaps incorrect, is that this proposal grew out of a
fairly tactical fix to the language in the WSDL binding, though one
could also argue that the notion of "back-channel" would be generally
useful.

I'm much more concerned about the first issue than the second.  I would
go along with a proposal for the second, as long as it is well-defined.
I have, of course, expressed significant concern as to whether the
current such proposal is well-defined.

Framing the question as a choice between these two proposals for largely
distinct questions would tend to imply that accepting one means
rejecting the other, particularly given the length of time this whole
thing has dragged on and the universal desire to get on with it.  This
is why I would strongly prefer to see the issues split.  My expectation
-- and Lord knows I could be wrong -- is that we could get to a yes/no
decision on these separate issues more quickly, as the discussion would
be more focused.

Here is a more formal presentation of what I've already proposed in
other messages:

   1. Close CR 33 with no action.
   2. Go to the pub.

Oops ... sorry ... what I meant was

   1. Close CR 33 with no action, and concomitantly:
         1. Open an issue about a general extension point for describing
            what addresses are/are not allowed.  Use my previous
            proposal as a strawman.
         2. Open an issue about a general definition of "back-channel",
            with Anish & Paco's current proposal as a strawman.  FWIW, I
            would support a version along the lines of what Anish
            mentioned, tying "back-channel" to the SOAP request-response
            MEP.
         3. Open an issue about making our WSDL markings more
            policy-friendly.  I don't have a proposal here, as it's
            outside my comfort zone, but I believe others feel strongly
            enough about it to drive it.
   2. Bash the above issues to death
   3. Go to the pub.

I would propose covering these in the order given (except that (3) could
perhaps be interspersed), as the resolution of (a) might possibly shed
some light on (b), and (c) can probably be done better once the other
two are in place.