RE: [destination] MAP and WSDL address

Umit

<uy>It seems that we could relax the language to allow the override with
careful wording by requiring the destination to always contain a
meaningful value (i.e. non anonymous) unless it is a response
message.</uy>
Actually, that wasn't the intent of my initial note.  Whether (or not) we
allow the [destination] to be anonymous/blank is probably not specific to
the WSDL spec and so (I believe that) this should not drive the direction
of this text.  Incidentally, although the text we have in the core/soap
does not explicitly prevent the destination from being blank/anon on
requests, we state in the core spec that the anonymous URI is for
endpoints which cannot have a meaningful IRI assigned - this is probably
sufficient to prevent its mis-use.

I agree that we need to relax the wording of section 4.1 (but without
worrying about the anonymous case).  One possibility would be to change
the text to allow the [destination] to differ from the WSDL address in
some cases.  For example, the addition of the text 'In the absence of any
additional information' below:

>> 4.1 Destination
>>
>> In the absence of any additional information,
>> the value of the [destination] message addressing property for a
message sent to an endpoint MUST match the
>> value of the {address} property of the endpoint component (WSDL 2.0) or
the address value provided by the relevant
>> port extension (WSDL 1.1). For a SOAP 1.1 port described using WSDL
1.1, the value is provided by the location
>> attribute of the soap11:address extension element.

or, alternatively explicitly state 'or its runtime override' like this:

>> 4.1 Destination
>>
>> In the case of WSDL 2.0, the value of the [destination] message
addressing property for a message sent to an endpoint MUST match the
>> value of the {address} property of the endpoint component or its
runtime override.
>> In the case of WSDL 1.1, the value of the [destination] message
addressing property for a message sent to an endpoint MUST match the
>> value of or the address value provided by the relevant
>> port extension (WSDL 1.1) or its runtime override. For a SOAP 1.1 port
described using WSDL 1.1, the value is provided by the location
>> attribute of the soap11:address extension element.

Katy

"Yalcinalp, Umit" <umit.yalcinalp@sap.com>
21/12/2005 23:33

"Rogers, Tony" <Tony.Rogers@ca.com>, Katy Warr/UK/IBM@IBMGB,
<public-ws-addressing@w3.org>
cc

Subject
RE: [destination] MAP and WSDL address

For an request message (not the response) the destination value (either as
it appears in WSDL or after being overridden) must not be anonymous. The
anonymous URI is simply not meaningful as there is no destination to send
the first message to.

--umit