Re: [lc6][lc35]: Clarify conformance requirements (SOAP, substantive)

Jonathan Marsh wrote:

>I took an AI at the FTF to in the context of Issus lc6 [1] and lc35 [2]
>to start a discussion on endpoint conformance.  I'm a little vague at
>this point as to what the concern with my original proposal below was.
>As I recall the consolidation of conformance statements in the SOAP
>Binding into a Conformance Section was not too controversial, and that
>the first two paragraphs I propose were viewed by many as useful
>clarifications on our existing.
>
>So the remaining issue is the third paragraph I propose, defining the
>new idea of endpoint conformance thus:
>
>  "An endpoint which conforms to this specification understands and
>  accepts SOAP messages containing headers in the wsa namespace targeted
>
>  to it, and generates reply or fault messages it may send in response
>  according to the rules outlined in this specification."
>
>>From the minutes [3] I infer there may be a couple of concerns with this
>concept:
>
>a) Should endpoint conformance require that all messages sent to the
>   service must have wsa: headers in them?
>b) Should endpoint conformance also require conformance to some or all
>   aspects of the WSDL Binding spec?
>
>I'm not sure these are the right questions, but if they are my answers
>are no, and no.

I like those answers, but I'm not sure how they square with section 3's
statement that wsa:ReplyTo (and not just the abstract [reply endpoint])
"MUST be present if a reply is expected" and the existence of a fault
for a missing MAP.  Isn't a conformant request/reply endpoint required
to fault if there is no wsa:ReplyTo header?

On a somewhat related note, wsa:MessageID is required if either
wsa:ReplyTo or wsa:FaultTo is present, though I'm not sure why,
particularly if the reply and fault endpoints are anonymous.  I would
assume that "This element MUST be present if wsa:ReplyTo or wsa:FaultTo
is present." means that a conformant endpoint MUST fault if it's not
there but one or both of the others is.

Perhaps we should clarify the text?