Re: LC 104 and the abstract info model for EPRs

Jonathan Marsh wrote:
> Very interesting work.  It does appear to be simpler on the surface,
> especially for the EPR properties (though some slight clarifications in
> Section 2 about what the "value" is would be nice - mostly
> s/value/EII/).  This works because we can stop talking about properties
> altogether.

Yes, that was one of the intentions for changing the EPR section.

Pl. note that, I had assumed that if the WG accepted the direction of
the proposal, the editors would change things to make it sound better,
make clarifications, etc.

I grepped for 'value' in section 2, but did not find it. Did you mean
section 2 (or a subsection in it) or some other section?

> However, it's not quite so clean in the Message Addressing Properties
> section.  We still talk about properties, but conflate the names of
> these properties with the elements that represent them, which will lead
> to confusion.

I could not get away from using the term 'properties'. Unlike an EPR,
MAPs are a collection of things which don't have a single (container)
representation or an "identifier". Since we need a term to refer to the
collection of things that augment the message it made sense to retain
the term MAP.

The way I see it is that these are properties which are identified by
QNames. For example, the 'wsa:Action' property. I find that simpler than
saying the [action] property which is mapped to wsa:Action EII.

> I think it's particularly confusing for wsa:RelatesTo.
> If I say "the wsa:RelatesTo property has the value 'mid:***'", does that
> imply that there is no wsa:Relatesto/@RelationshipType value?

Isn't that true even when you say:
"[relationship] property has a value of 'mid:***'"
wsa:RelatesTo is a complex structure, just saying that it has a value of
'mid:***' makes it ambiguous regardless of what you call it.

> Does
> wsa:RelatesTo mean the property or the structure, or is it a structured
> property?

"wsa:RelatesTo" is an EII. "wsa:RelatesTo property" is an MAP which is a
structured property (similar to [relationship] property as it stands
right now).

> I think you've removed some terminology which is designed to
> differentiate distinct concepts.  So while it may appear simpler, it
> reduces clarity - not a win-win.

Are you suggesting that the name of the property and the EII has to be
different? They are certainly distinct. For example, wsa:Action EII may
be used, say, as part of the SOAP payload -- in which case, it is just
payload and has no bearing on the wsa:Action MAP of that message (which
will depend on value of the SOAP header wsa:Action). But it does not
seem like this requires calling it [action] property as opposed to
wsa:Action property. But if calling it [action] makes sense, that would
be fine too. My goal was to remove the abstract section and say that
this is all Infoset.

I don't particularly care whether it is called "wsa:Action property" or
"[action] property", it just seems simpler to call it wsa:Action property.