From: Paco Curbera, Francisco
Sent: Wednesday, January 26, 2005 2:23 PM
To: Ugo Corda
Cc: public-ws-addressing@w3.org; public-ws-addressing-request@w3.org
Subject: RE: NEW ISSUE: EPR comparison rule doesn't support Web services
gateways/routers

The problem is that Section 2.3 (2.4 in the submission doc) was about
differentiating properties and parameters. The question is then, what
are
you differentiating now - and the answer is that it isn't clear at all.
Which might be ok (this would certainly not make WS-Addressing the first
fuzzy w3c spec) except that this particular point puts a lot of real
world
Web services deployments out of the WS-Addressing game. Which in the end
will likely hurt WS-Addressing more than anything else - reality has its
own ways of asserting itself (rendering whole sections of a spec
irrelevant
in the way). I think we just need to get real.

I think that under your argument lies an attempt to assert a principle
that
no other Web services spec accepts - that different metadata (say,
different WSDL binding) mandates different endpoint URLs. If this is the
case I think it should be put on the table explicitly, rather than dress
it
as an automatic consequence of the vote on issue 1. This "principle" is
evidently absent form WSDL in any of its incarnations (and I can imagine
what would have been the reaction had anyone tried to enforce that
constraint), so I don't quite see whatis the point to push it into
WS-Addressing through a back door. It is also completely unrealistic, as
the gateway scenario (and also the case of dynamic policy changing
in-flight) show.

The real issue here IMO is whether we want a spec with real impact on
the
industry or we are up to some kind of academic exercise.

Paco

                      "Ugo Corda"

                      <UCorda@SeeBeyond        To:       Francisco
Curbera/Watson/IBM@IBMUS
                      .com>                    cc:
<Marc.Hadley@Sun.COM>, <public-ws-addressing@w3.org>,

<public-ws-addressing-request@w3.org>

                      01/26/2005 01:50         Subject:  RE: NEW ISSUE:
EPR comparison rule doesn't support Web services
                      PM                        gateways/routers

Fine, but I have not seen any request to change the previous semantics
of ref params either.

What sec. 2.3 basically says, after dropping refProps, is "differences
in ref params values cannot imply differences in metadata". That is the
same thing that sec. 2.3 was saying before refProps were dropped, and I
consider that to be part of the ref params semantics as it has been
defined so far.

If we want to challenge the current ref params semantics, that's fine
with me. But let's just raise a new specific issue, instead of sneaking
it in by virtue of saying that we can now drop sec. 2.3.

Ugo