Re: Issue #1 proposed resolution

Tom,

On Tue, Jan 18, 2005 at 07:37:57AM +1100, Tom Rutt wrote:
> Say I have a room full of 100 equipment racks, each one having 20
> shelves containing 10 blade computer cards.  This room has 20000 blade
> computer cards, all exactly the same, with the same policy attached, but
> having different serial numbers in their rom.
>
> A common use case (ws-rm, systems management etc) is having one web
> service "type" with a single http address, with two operations
> (getSerialNumber(), getCPUCoreTemp()).
>
> The sysadmin wishes to employs the use of refPs (in this case they could
> be refParms since the messages sent for each of them is the same) to
> distinguish which blade is of concern.  He defines three refParms
> (rackNumber, rowNumber, CollumNumber).
>
> These three refParms are not universal identifiers, since on any given
> day, one of the blades can be pulled out for repair, and replace with
> another having a different serial number.  The serial number of the
> blade is an identifier, but still, if I change the
> value of any one of the three refParms I would get a different answer
> for the getSerialNumber() querry, and the getCPUCoreTemp() operation
> will give and answer specific to that blade.
>
> In summary, this sysAdmin person wants to use the refParms as "access
> handles" to direct the query to a particular "bag of state".

Hmm, I think we're saying that you *don't* want to do that; "access
handles" would appear to be identifiers.

What I think we *are* saying is that you want each "bag of state" (aka
resource) to have its own URI, and that would include both the blades
and the rack slots so that you can handle the swapping case you referred
to.  (Aside; then you just invoke GET to grab that state)

P.S. I think it's funny that we've seen RefProps used as RefParams, and
now RefParams used as RefProps. 8-)  Is there really a difference
between the two?

Mark.