RE: i009 - mustIgnore rule for multiple To, ReplyTo, etc.

Paul,

Like Noah, I'm not a member of the WSA group, so feel free to tell me to go
away (unlike Noah I didn't add this disclaimer to earlier posts; sorry).

Speaking as someone who works at a company dedicated to helping people deal
with interoperability problems, I have to question the wisdom of allowing
but ignoring multiple instances of these headers. Presumably a SOAP node
would only inject an additional duplicate header to achieve a desired
effect. To ensure that effect, the processor would have to check to see
whether the same header already existed in a message. If it did, the
processor would presumably either raise an exception or put it's header in
*before* the present header in order to trump it. There would be little
reason to put it in after the existing header, since it would just be
ignored.

This raises two questions in my mind. First, what are the security
implications? Will this open to WSA to attacks based on shifting relative
position of a header and require the use of XPath expressions in signatures
that explicitly specify position relative to soap:Header? If multiple
instances were disallowed, this issue would go away as injecting a duplicate
header would invalidate the message.

Second, how does all this work relative to headers targeted at different
actors/roles (are those allowed with WSA?)?

While I can see applying the mustIgnore rule to content you don't know
about, it seems kind of strange to apply it to duplicate elements in a given
spec. If SOAP allowed multiple soap:Header/soap:Body elements in any order,
with only the first of each in document order having meaning help or hinder
interoperability? What about understandability?

Thanks,
Tim-