RE: TAG requests help with examples of WS-Addressing

David,

I'll provide a more detailed reply later, when I have a bit more time.
However I do want to point out a fundamental misunderstanding.  The MEPs
in WS-AT are not "bog standard" request/reply.  They are correlated
one-ways.  The reason for this is that the transaction protocol cannot
allow messages to be lost, which can happen using the HTTP request/reply
mechanism since it does not support persistent sessions (and for good
reason since the resources consumed would negatively impact WAN
performance).

A communication failure in a 2PC protocol message exchange requires a
transaction rollback - something we debated a long time in the OTS V2
committee by the way since CORBA allows transparent retries.  And
failure includes a lost message.  The transactional resource needs to
know whether or not to maintain its locks during the time the
application is communicating (i.e. while the service request is being
processed).  If the application loses its communication session the
transactional resource needs to be able to roll back as soon as possible
so that the resource can process another transaction.

The underlying assumption in WS-AT (and other variations of the classic
distributed 2PC protocol) is that application level communications are
coordinated with transactional operations on data so that the operations
on data succeed if and only if the communication session succeeds.
Therefore it isn't possible to have ambiguity in the results of MEPs.
If there's any communication failure between parties in a distributed
transaction the transaction must roll back in order to preserve data
integrity.  The coordinator is acting on behalf of the application level
request to ensure the ACID guarantees are preserved in the distributed
case, and (as Don Box and I discovered back in early 2000 when we tried
to map SOAP to TIP) you can't do this with plain HTTP requests since
there's no mechanism for persistent state management (see also
WS-Context).  The correlated one-ways in the transaction protocol MEP is
necessary because of this, as is the use of WSA.

CORBA, J2EE, and proprietary distributed transaction processing
mechanisms don't have this problem since they use session-oriented
protocols and associate transaction context with the session. If the
communication session fails the application level error is therefore
clear with respect to what happens to the related operations on data.
Another thing important to always keep in mind about transactions is
that they are essentially meaningless without operations on data.  The
protocols can't be understood in the abstract, they have to be
understood in relationship to the transactional resources performing the
operations on data, which is what is being coordinated here, and why we
can't depend on plain HTTP.

Eric

+1 781 902 8366

fax: +1 781 902 8009