RE: New Issue: wsaw:UsingAddressing as a policy assertion

This approach makes good sense given the momentum behind the
WS-Policy set of languages, especially from vendors such as
Microsoft, however:

- what in our specification prevents a service describing
a Web service in WSDL, and some other description, such as a
WS-Policy style document or extensions asserting that
WS-Addressing is infact, required?

- why isn't a mapping from the lightweight wsaw: extensions
into WS-Policy be sufficient for Microsoft's needs? After all,
it's my understanding that WS-Policy* which are being standardised,
are all domain specific languages which map into a common way
of thinking.

- The phrase "prior to standardization of the policy framework"
worries me deeply. Is it desirable, or even possible for our
W3C Recommendation to build upon, normatively referencing
something which hasn't been standardised, and whose control
and licensing isn't transparent and open?

It would be helpful to point the WG at a specification for
WS-Policy statements used by Microsoft to engage Addressing
currently (I'm assuming such a thing exists). I'm assuming
you're considering submiting such a document to the
Working Group?

As said, I'm not adverse to this approach, and BT is very
interested in using an interoperable, standardised policy
language ASAP [1]. I just need to better understand the
reasons why Status Quo isn't good enough for WS-Addressing.

Paul

http://www.w3.org/2004/09/ws-cc-program.html#tuesday