RE: Issues i034: Action defaults (was Re: Issue 019: WSDL Version Neutrality)

Those efforts will not be ruined, they will simply not extend to new
versions that might (eventually) come along with such a different model
that the algorithm can't be stretched.  Your argument seems to be that
we should inflict pain today so people get used to the pain in case we
inflict more in the future.  The pain of the future is sufficient
thereto.

> Moreover, action is considered important: its use is (currently)
> required in a message, it heavily relates to the lengthy discussions
> around operation name in the WS Description WG, etc. Having it spelled
> out in a WSDL description seems to make sense.

If we have the principle that everything should be spelled out.  WSDL
2.0 itself has some pretty fancy defaulting behavior.

> I would therefore favor _not_ having the implicit action pattern, and
> requiring it to be indicated in the description of a service, i.e.
> wsa:Action MUST be present on a message reference - i.e. input or
> output message - in a WSDL description if addressing is used.

That seems like a split-the-baby argument.

> I don't think that it will be such a burden on implementors since:
> - they can still use the same ones as long as it's indicated in their
>   WSDL,
> - toolkits can provide a default value if the developer doesn't want
>   to specify one by hand.
>
> This default that toolkit can provide can be hinted by our spec.
>
> We could keep the current WSDL 1.1 defaulting algorithm and say that
> it MAY be used as a (good) default value for the action property when
> writing a WSDL 1.1 description of a service, and say that the WSDL 2.0
> component designator URI for a message reference MAY be used as a
> (good) action default value when writing a WSDL 2.0 description of it.
> In any case, the value of the action property is specific to the
> service and MUST be identical in all descriptions of the service.
>
> Comments?

It sounds like a workable alternative, though not very compelling.