Re: i038: Scope of message addressing properties [i038]

On Nov 24, 2004, at 10:45 PM, Jacques Durand wrote:

> ReplyTo would have little value if restricted to a single MEP
> instance: it should
> be usable to support callbacks and larger MEPs.
>
> I would even argue that the presence of ReplyTo in the request of a
> Request-response MEP should not be construed as automatically applying
> to the response of this MEP.

Sounds like ReplyTo has no real semantics in your view, its just a
convenient holder for an application specific EPR ?

> (shouldn't a synchronous rsponse always get back to sender)

Apparently not.

> > property. E.g. Does the presence of a wsa:ReplyTo in the response
> > message of a request-response MEP indicate that future messages in
> the
> > same 'logical' conversation should be sent to the EPR in the ReplyTo.
>
> Yes, but why would we have to say anything about the expected behavior
> ("should"). The  receiver will know what to do with ReplyTo: depends
> on the application logic.

I'm not sure I agree, I want to develop middleware that takes care of
addressing, I don't want every application to have to handle it itself.

>  All what matters for WS-Addressing is that the sender knows when it
> should include ReplyTo element or not (e.g. required by WSDL, or by
> the EPR - but has to be per operation...)

Presumably by 'sender' you mean the sending application, but as I said
above I want to be able to take care of WS-Addressing in the protocol
stack rather than require each application to have to handle it. For
that to work I need some senatics to be associated with the things like
ReplyTo and FaultTo otherwise they just become additional application
message payload.

Marc.

---
Marc Hadley <marc.hadley at sun.com>