RE: i0001: EPRs as identifiers (why XML?)

David Booth wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-11-17 at 15:09, Jonathan Marsh wrote:
> > It's
> > designed to work with SOAP, which defines headers for the purpose of
> > delivering the message to the ultimate SOAP destination.
>
> I guess this raises an important question: To what extent should
> Addressing be tied to SOAP?

I think the Microsoft position on this should be clear by now (though
I'm sure others disagree).  WS-Addressing no more and no less than a
SOAP extension.  Removing features from Addressing because they don't
apply outside the SOAP world cripples the spec.  Features added solely
to support non-SOAP exchanges represent unnecessary complication.  We
need to abstract SOAP out just enough to accommodate the two versions of
SOAP.

To flip your question around, what are the use cases for addressing
(using more than just a URI) outside SOAP?