RE: WS-A Issue 28 - Multiple ports needed in an EPR

I *think* that the issue raiser wants to have the ability to normatively
specify how multiple network addresses are represented by value in the
EPR, rather than by ref.

Dave

Thus
> 	the need for multi-profile IORs.
>
> 	If the EPR is referencing more than a single port access to a
web
> 	service (i.e. there may be an smtp way to bind a wsdl port
> 	type in addition to the soap/httpPost way) then it should have
some
> way
> 	to pass the access parameters required for
> 	each of those bound ports.
>
> 	I guess this is a fundamental question,
> 	"Is an EPR intended to reference more than one bound port for a
WSDL
> 	port type?"
>
> 	Tom Rutt
> 	Fujitsu
>
> 	Vinoski, Stephen wrote:
>
> 	> Hi Dave, one other thing: you asked how many CORBA vendors
might
> have
> 	> wanted a single profile IOR design. I believe the answer in
the
> 	> beginning might have been a couple vendors, but today the
answer
> is
> 	> zero. I can honestly say that I personally have never heard
anyone
> 	> complain about the existence or complexity of the
multi-profile
> IOR --
> 	> Jeff or Tom might chime in if they have any data on this. I
also
> don't
> 	> know of any vendor who has not taken advantage of the multi-
> profile
> 	> IOR capability for one reason or another at some point.
Numerous
> 	> CORBA-based research projects have also taken advantage of the
> 	> multi-profile IOR over the years as well.
> 	> --steve
> 	>
suggesting
> [...]
> 	>     EPRs. I find it interesting that not many of those derived
> works
> 	>     have created a multi address/port structure. Perhaps there
> isn't
> 	>     much demand?
> 	>
> 	>     I agree that cases for multi-EPRs will require a spec and
> 	>     interoperability tests and so forth. The same argument
goes
> for
> 	>     just about every kind of functionality though. There's a
> reason
> 	>     why the WS-A working group isn't defining wsdl and
> 	>     metadataexchange and policy and reliablemessaging and
> universal
> 	>     EPR lifecycle and pub/sub and uddi and ... Our charter
takes
> into
> 	>     account layering and picking the smallest piece that
delivers
> the
> 	>     most bang for the buck, sometimes called 80/20. Now I also
> know
> 	>     full well that one person's 80/20 is another's
> 	>     worthless/wasteoftime, so I hesitate to use it but it
seems to
> fit
> 	>     in this scenario.
> 	>
> 	>     I think it would make my users life more complicated by
> forcing
> 	>     every EPR minter and user to have to deal with multi-EPR
> 	>     scenarios. Obviously I could be wrong, but I do find the
> 	>     simplicity of EPRs to be compelling.
> 	>
> 	>     I am interested in learning more about CORBA IORs and
profiles
> 	>     though. Could you send link(s) on them and their usage? I
also
> 	>     idly wonder how many CORBA vendors/users would have wanted
> single
> 	>     profile IORs rather than the current IOR design.
> 	>
> 	>     Cheers,
> 	>
> 	>     Dave
> 	>
> 	>
> ----------
> 	>
> 	>     *From:* Vinoski, Stephen [mailto:Steve.Vinoski@iona.com]
> 	>     *Sent:* Saturday, November 06, 2004 1:54 PM
> 	>     *To:* David Orchard; Martin Gudgin; Bergersen, Rebecca;
> 	>     public-ws-addressing@w3.org
> 	>     *Cc:* Newcomer, Eric
> 	>     *Subject:* RE: WS-A Issue 28 - Multiple ports needed in an
EPR
> 	>
> 	>     Hi Dave,
> 	>
> 	>     I understand the desire for simplicity. But if it's
simplicity
> 	>     that you want, why not forego the EPR entirely and use a
URI?
> You
> 	>     stated your opinion for why we need an EPR over just a URI
in
> 	>     separate thread. By what criteria do you judge your need
for
> an
> 	>     EPR rather than just a URI to be acceptable, while judging
our
> 	>     need for multi-address EPRs to be too complicated?
> 	>
> 	>     Obviously you can raise all kinds of hypothetical
> complications
> 	>     regarding multi-address or multi-mechanism services. In
> practice,
> 	>     it's really not that complicated. Middleware has supported
> such
> 	>     constructs for well over a decade now, the best example of
> which
> 	>     is probably the CORBA IOR. IORs may consist of one or more
> 	>     profiles, where each profile may contain a separate
address,
> but
> 	>     all profiles in the same IOR "point" to the same target
> object. In
> 	>     practice, most IORs consist of only a single IIOP profile,
but
> the
> 	>     flexibility for multiple profiles is there, and it's
amazingly
> 	>     handy when you need it.
> 	>
> 	>     If you want to keep the EPR simple, as you stated, are you
> instead
> 	>     proposing that this WG also standardize some kind of
composite
> EPR
> 	>     as well? Because if this WG doesn't address the
multi-address
> 	>     issue, then the layering you're proposing will be strictly
> 	>     proprietary and non-interoperable, and will proliferate
the
> 	>     complication. I already pointed out the problem with the
> layering
> 	>     approach in my reply to Gudge, and that is that it just
pushes
> the
> 	>     problem into the higher levels of software where it has to
be
> 	>     handled again and again and again, which makes it less
likely
> that
> 	>     it will be handled at all, which will result in rigid
> inflexible
> 	>     systems that cannot deal with protocol, format, and
service
> 	>     evolution. Imagine, for example, if all IORs could contain
> only a
> 	>     single profile. That would force all CORBA applications to
be
> able
> 	>     to accept sequences of IORs in all the places they would
> normally
> 	>     just accept a single one-or-more-profile IOR. It forces
all
> the
> 	>     complication up into the applications. Do you really want
> make
> 	>     your users' lives more complicated?
> 	>
> 	>     --steve
> 	>
What's
> the
> 	>         order of precedence? Are there any commonalities, like
> policy
> 	>         across all the address? Are there policies specific to
an
> 	>         endpoint? Are there different bindings/required
properties
> per
> 	>         endpoint? I propose that multi-address information
should
> be
> 	>         layered on top and EPRs remain as simple as we can
keep
> them,
> 	>         rather than pushing the multi-stuff into EPRs.
> 	>
> 	>         By analogy, I agree that molecules are great. And
> sometimes
> 	>         just atoms are the thing we want, like gold or oxygen.
The
> 	>         universe deals well with both constructs, but they do
have
> 	>         layering/composition model.
> 	>
> 	>         Another saying I like for standards is "you know your
> standard
> 	>         is successful when people go great, but can you add
foo,
> bar,
> 	>         baz..". That means it hit the minimum necessary for
> success.
> 	>
> 	>         Cheers,
> 	>
> 	>         Dave
> 	>
> 	>
> --------------
> 	>
> 	>         *From:* public-ws-addressing-request@w3.org
> 	>         [mailto:public-ws-addressing-request@w3.org] *On
Behalf Of
> 	>         *Vinoski, Stephen
> 	>         *Sent:* Friday, November 05, 2004 1:50 PM
> 	>         *To:* Martin Gudgin; Bergersen, Rebecca;
> 	>         public-ws-addressing@w3.org
> 	>         *Cc:* Newcomer, Eric
> 	>         *Subject:* RE: WS-A Issue 28 - Multiple ports needed
in an
> EPR
> 	>
> 	>         Gudge, take a look at your own business card. Does it
have
> 	>         your address, work phone number, fax number, mobile
> number,
> 	>         email address, instant message ID, and your home page
all
> 	>         listed on it, or do you actually have multiple
business
[mailto:mgudgin@microsoft.com]
public-ws-addressing@w3.org
> 	>             *Cc:* Newcomer, Eric; Vinoski, Stephen
> 	>             *Subject:* RE: WS-A Issue 28 - Multiple ports
needed
> in an EPR
> 	>
> 	>             I take issue with the assertion "where there are
> different
> 	>             protocols/transports/formats available for the
same
> 	>             service, the "access to a Web service endpoint"
> requires
> 	>             the client to choose among alternatives".
> 	>
> 	>             If I, the service, give you, the client, a single
EPR
> then
> 	>             as far as you are concerned, there is only one
> mechansim
> 	>             with which you can communicate with me. So you
don't
> need
> 	>             to make any choices ( except whether to
communicate or