RE: WS-A Issue 28 - Multiple ports needed in an EPR

One possible approach is to  architect embedded metadata into the EPR that
allows encoding alternative addresses for each protocol - somehow using the
address field as a logical address in this case. This is a possible use
case of the embedded metadata I was asked to rationalize and a possible
alternative for  this issue.  Comments?

Paco

                      "Vinoski, Stephen"
                      <Steve.Vinoski@iona.com>        To:       "David Orchard" <dorchard@bea.com>, "Martin Gudgin" <mgudgin@microsoft.com>,
                      Sent by:                         "Bergersen, Rebecca" <Rebecca.Bergersen@iona.com>, <public-ws-addressing@w3.org>
                      public-ws-addressing-req        cc:       "Newcomer, Eric" <Eric.Newcomer@iona.com>
                      uest@w3.org                     Subject:  RE: WS-A Issue 28 - Multiple ports needed in an EPR

                      11/06/2004 04:54 PM

Hi Dave,

I understand the desire for simplicity. But if it's simplicity that you
want, why not forego the EPR entirely and use a URI? You stated your
opinion for why we need an EPR over just a URI in a separate thread. By
what criteria do you judge your need for an EPR rather than just a URI to
be acceptable, while judging our need for multi-address EPRs to be too
complicated?

Obviously you can raise all kinds of hypothetical complications regarding
multi-address or multi-mechanism services. In practice, it's really not
that complicated. Middleware has supported such constructs for well over a
decade now, the best example of which is probably the CORBA IOR. IORs may
consist of one or more profiles, where each profile may contain a separate
address, but all profiles in the same IOR "point" to the same target
object. In practice, most IORs consist of only a single IIOP profile, but
the flexibility for multiple profiles is there, and it's amazingly handy
when you need it.

If you want to keep the EPR simple, as you stated, are you instead
proposing that this WG also standardize some kind of composite EPR as well?
Because if this WG doesn't address the multi-address issue, then the
layering you're proposing will be strictly proprietary and
non-interoperable, and will proliferate the complication. I already pointed
out the problem with the layering approach in my reply to Gudge, and that
is that it just pushes the problem into the higher levels of software where
it has to be handled again and again and again, which makes it less likely
that it will be handled at all, which will result in rigid inflexible
systems that cannot deal with protocol, format, and service evolution.
Imagine, for example, if all IORs could contain only a single profile. That
would force all CORBA applications to be able to accept sequences of IORs
in all the places they would normally just accept a single
one-or-more-profile IOR. It forces all the complication up into the
applications. Do you really want to make your users' lives more
complicated?

--steve