RE: Mandator wsa:Action (was Re: WS-Addr issues)

Just think about it: if we stuff WS-Addressing with lots of optional
fields, after we are done with it in w3c (if we ever are) we can take it to
WS-I and try to fix it by defining another interoperability profile - that
will keep us employed for a few more years. Not a bad business for those of
us making a living arguing about standards.  :-)

Paco

                      "David Orchard"
                      <dorchard@bea.com>              To:       "Mark Little" <mark.little@arjuna.com>
                      Sent by:                        cc:       <public-ws-addressing@w3.org>
                      public-ws-addressing-req        Subject:  RE: Mandator wsa:Action (was Re: WS-Addr issues)
                      uest@w3.org

                      11/06/2004 03:20 PM

This is another time somebody has misinterpreted what I've said and
implied something sinister or that I'm not listening.  Please stop.

If you notice, in my discussion, I frame my arguments in terms of
counter-arguments.  I present actual and even imagined opposing views in
a reasoned light.  I believe one of the best ways to get to consensus is
to understand the other side's POV and be able to express it back to
them in a manner that they agree represents their POV.

Now enough on style, back to substance.

I'm certainly not talking about changing from WS-A submission to WS-A
Rec problems.

I am talking about everybody that implements a WS-A Rec having the
certainty of an Action field and the benefits from that.  I posit that a
WS-A Rec that has optional Action may be less interesting to the
community at large.  I assert and evidence has shown that mandatory
items accrue benefits compared to optional items.  I still have the
scars from various WGs of optional items :-(

I've yet to hear the positive architectural properties that an optional
Action field induces in a system compared to a mandatory Action field.

Dave

I'll
> >> respond inline.

> >> Understood. However, there are a couple of points I need to make:
> >>
> >> (i) the financial saying of "past performance is no indicator of
> >> current or future performance" comes into play. Just because you've
> >> seen this happen before doesn't mean it will happen again. If there
> >> really is a need for this in some applications, then people will
use
> >> it.
> >>
> >> (ii) building on (i), as I've said before, I've seen quite a few
> >> implementations that just see wsa:Action as baggage they have to
fill
> >> in but don't use. I think we should be looking to make mandatory
only
> >> those elements that are used in every situation. If you can show me
> >> that that is the case for wsa:Action then I'd be interested. This
> > model
> >> of mandatory elements only for global requirements works for other
> >> specifications, so I don't see why it won't work for us.

> > are
> > different
> > been
> > some
> > others.
> >>
> >> I don't see this as the same thing at all. Firstly, MIME types can
be
> >> strongly argued as required on all interactions. Secondly, this
isn't
> >> addressing, it's dispatch. I think it's simply the wrong place in
the
> >> architecture to put this (if it needs defining at all).

> > tilting
> > written
> > an
> >>
> >> We'll have to disagree then about what is and isn't addressing in
this
> >> case. However, I think if you look at other distributed
architectures
> >> over the past 30 years you'll be in the minority ;-)

> > whether
> >>
> >> Agreed.
> >>
> >> Mark.

IF