Re: WS-Addr issues

Francisco Curbera wrote:

>You can already do that w/o reference properties. It seems that your
>example tries to show that application data can be encoded in message
>headers as opposed to the body. Well, SOAP already allows you to do that if
>that is what you wish to do. However, that example has nothing to do with
>reference properties, which can never stand for input parameters. Input
>parameters encode requester data sent to the service endpoint, whereas the
>value of reference properties is fixed by the service provider. Clients
>only echo them back.

However the service endpoint needs to read the values of the reference
properties in the soap header before it can
"dispactch" the operation to the specific referenced "thing" being
requested using the ref props.  Ref properties cannot
be removed by an intermediary, and still have the endpoint properly
dispatch the operation.

Tom Rutt
Fujitsu

>Paco
>

>                      "Savas Parastatidis"
>                      <Savas.Parastatidis@newca        To:       <public-ws-addressing@w3.org>
>                      stle.ac.uk>                      cc:
>                      Sent by:                         Subject:  RE: WS-Addr issues
>                      public-ws-addressing-requ
>                      est@w3.org
>

>                      11/04/2004 08:06 PM
>

>Hey Dave,
>
>[snip[
>

>>WSAddressing, through the mandated use of
>>wsa:Action, has opened the door for that to change.  Newer specs,
>>like WS-MDEX, have embraced wsa:Action's "I'm the operation"
>>

>definition
>

>>to the point where if there are no parameters they don't even see the
>>

>need
>

>>to put anything in the env:Body.  wsa:Action is no longer just an
>>extension
>>element but rather can be "the payload".
>>

>To further add to Dave's above comment...
>
>Due to the combination of wsa:action and reference properties we see
>SOAP messages that look more and more like this...
>
><soap:Envelope>
>  <soap:Header>
>    <wsa:Action>blabla:SendEmailNotification</wsa:Action>
>    <appl:CustomerFirstName>Savas</appl:CustomerFirstName>
>    <appl:CustomerLastName>Parastatidis</appl:CustomerLastName>
>  </soap:Header>
>  <soap:Body />
></soap:Envelope>
>
>Effectively moving the application-specific payload to the header
>section of the soap envelope not leaving anything for the receiving
>application specific actor.
>
>Regards,
>.savas.

Tel: +1 732 801 5744          Fax: +1 732 774 5133