Re: New CR Issue: OPTIONAL or REQUIRED?

I completely agree that defaults and optionality don't mix.

However, as I understand it, the current definition is not inconsistent
(just a bit confusing):

    * the response endpoint MAPs are indeed optional
    * /in the context of XML infosets,/ a missing reply defaults to
      anonymous while the fault endpoint has no default.  This is not
      inconsistent; it only means that 3.2 says more than 3.1.  It's
      still entirely possible to speak of an abstract message with no
      reply endpoint.  You just won't see any represented in XML.  I'm
      not arguing that this is clear or sensible, only that it's not
      inconsistent.
    * /in the context of a request-reply operation/, the response
      endpoints have further restrictions.

So the [fault endpoint] really is optional.  In particular, you can
leave it off of a one-way message with no harm.  The [reply endpoint]
will default to anonymous whenever you use XML (um, pretty much always,
right?), but this is generally regarded as harmless.