Re: What to do with WoT Profiles 1.0

On 25/04/24 20:42, Ben Francis wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Apr 2024 at 18:30, Luca Barbato <luca.barbato@luminem.it
> <mailto:luca.barbato@luminem.it>> wrote:
>
>     That's the idea. I'm starting from the concern of people having TD
>     consumers that would get very confused by profiles.
>

> Is there any evidence this actually happens in practice, or is it just a
> theoretical concern?

I think Daniel has a practical case, meanwhile I discussed with
Cristiano and scripting-api right now does not cover
response/additionalResponse so a consumer implementing scripting-api
would have difficulties.

> If that's what it boils down to, what response would a generic Consumer
> expect from an HTTP POST request to this action endpoint, that if they
> didn't receive it would confuse them?

ActionAffordance::output is missing,
Form::response is missing,
Form::additionalResponses is missing,

I consider the lack of DataSchema "anything goes", other consider it
"expect nothing".

Either way you could present it with a fire-and-forget action.

> Perhaps just making it mandatory to set the synchronous member to false
> for asynchronous actions would actually solve the problem.

If would make the action excluded by Consumers only considering
synchronous actions, but consumers mapping asynchronous actions as
"fire-and-forget" might just happily invoke and then report an error if
they get a success response with a payload they do not expect.

And we are going back to not having any guidelines in the specs
regarding degraded consumption...

lu