Re: What to do with WoT Profiles 1.0

On Thu, 25 Apr 2024 at 18:30, Luca Barbato <luca.barbato@luminem.it> wrote:

> That's the idea. I'm starting from the concern of people having TD
> consumers that would get very confused by profiles.

Is there any evidence this actually happens in practice, or is it just a
theoretical concern?

> If that's accepted we have to make it way more evident.

I agree this may not be obvious until you actually come to implement the
profile, or consume a Thing which conforms to it.

> adding a subprotocol to the invoke action form might solve the pressing
> problem since then the consumer would not present the async action.

If that's what it boils down to, what response would a generic Consumer
expect from an HTTP POST request to this action endpoint, that if they
didn't receive it would confuse them?

  "actions": {
    "fade": {
      "title": "Fade",
      "description": "Fade the lamp to a given level",
      "synchronous": false,
      "input": {
        "type": "object",
        "properties": {
          "level": {
            "title": "Brightness",
            "type": "integer",
            "minimum": 0,
            "maximum": 100,
            "unit": "percent"
          },
          "duration": {
            "title": "Duration",
            "type": "integer",
            "minimum": 0,
            "unit": "milliseconds"
          }
        }
      },
      "forms": [{"href":
"https://mywebthingserver.com/things/lamp/actions/fade"}]
    }
  }

Perhaps just making it mandatory to set the synchronous member to false for
asynchronous actions would actually solve the problem.