W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-wot-wg@w3.org > September 2020

[Scripting] minutes - 17 August 2020

From: Kazuyuki Ashimura <ashimura@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 07 Sep 2020 15:49:41 +0900
Message-ID: <877dt6m67u.wl-ashimura@w3.org>
To: public-wot-wg@w3.org
available at:
  https://www.w3.org/2020/08/17-wot-minutes.html

also as text below.

Thanks a lot for taking the minutes, Zoltan!

Kazuyuki

---
   [1]W3C

      [1] http://www.w3.org/

                               - DRAFT -

                           WoT Scripting API

17 Aug 2020

Attendees

   Present
          Zoltan_Kis, Kaz_Ashimura, Tomoaki_Mizushima,
          Cristiano_Aguzzi, Daniel_Peintner

   Regrets

   Chair
          Zoltan

   Scribe
          Zoltan, Kaz

Contents

     * [2]Topics
         1. [3]Approving the past meeting minutes
         2. [4]GitHub repo gardening
         3. [5]PR 231
         4. [6]PR 234
         5. [7]Adding Cristiano as editor
         6. [8]Next call
     * [9]Summary of Action Items
     * [10]Summary of Resolutions
     __________________________________________________________

   <scribe> scribe: zkis

Approving the past meeting minutes

   <kaz> [11]Aug-10

     [11] https://www.w3.org/2020/08/10-wot-minutes.html

   in the last call, we had a resolution, but there is no tracking
   issue, nor PR yet

   I can make the issue later today.

   Also, some gardening is needed on the wikis and repo.

   <kaz> [12]Scripting wiki

     [12] https://www.w3.org/WoT/IG/wiki/WG_WoT_Scripting_API_WebConf

   <kaz> [13]Scripting repo

     [13] https://github.com/w3c/wot-scripting-api

   Minutes approved.

GitHub repo gardening

   <kaz> [14]Scripting repo

     [14] https://github.com/w3c/wot-scripting-api

   We should include link to W3C wiki and call details.

   Zoltan: also, we need to update the linked documents
   ... we need to work on script management

   Cristiano: miniapps blend well into that as well

   <kaz> [15]Scripting API Primer

     [15] https://github.com/w3c/wot-scripting-api/blob/master/primer/README.md

   Zoltan: we need to check and update the primer.md
   ... the TAG actually requires an explainer.md and not a
   primer.md

   Kaz: we can publish the Primer as a Group Note

   Zoltan: we should ask the author

   <kaz> [16]Scripting API Rationale

     [16] https://github.com/w3c/wot-scripting-api/blob/master/rationale.md

   Zoltan: the rationale.md also need updating (at least with
   Streams related decisions)

   <scribe> ACTION: ZK update rationale.md

   Zoltan: Kaz, could we discuss the primer publication in the
   main call?

   Kaz: yes, we can

   <scribe> ACTION: ZK update the readme.md

PR 231

   <kaz> [17]PR 231

     [17] https://github.com/w3c/wot-scripting-api/pull/231

   Zoltan: the PR was reviewed and approved, so merging it now
   ... we discussed adding the mandatory properties but don't have
   an algorithm for initializing them

   <inserted> (Daniel joins)

   Cristiano: we should just check if mandatory fields are not
   defined

   Daniel: we can also handle it differently: the TD spec says
   they are required and have a default value

   Zoltan: but there are no default values defined for them
   ... originally we first filled up the mandatory fields, then
   validated
   ... should we continue like that

   Cristiano: so we'd just check the existence of the properties

   Zoltan: not sure how to initialize those fields

   Daniel: we should not invent values

   Zoltan: should we then just check what we get (no convenience
   fill-up)?

   Cristiano: agree

   Daniel: agree

   Zoltan: okay, then we don't need to file an issue because the
   current steps are good

   Cristiano: if we have optional fields with defaults, should we
   expand or not?

   Zoltan: optional is optional, and we don't need to fill them up

   Daniel: agree

   Zoltan: we can file an issue later if needed

   Cristiano: another thing, cross-validation for values

   Zoltan: I think we should check the values respect the TD
   definitions

   Daniel: for op values this is not the case
   ... it is just a hint

   Zoltan: the op values are used in the algorithms, so now we can
   create wrong ops and will fail later; it would be nice to fail
   these early

   Cristiano: so we'd add validation steps for that

   Daniel: not sure if we need to break it, since it might work
   fine

   node-wot does not check op values per se. A wrong op value
   would be simply never used

   Daniel: node-wot gets the op from the Form and if not found,
   then no result

   Zoltan: we should make sure op values are from the values
   defined by the TD spec

   Cristiano: JSON-validation might include checks for enums
   ... also for terms defined in the vocabulary
   ... field cross-validation etc
   ... it is protocol-dependent

   Zoltan: that is runtime type checking and should not be in the
   generic steps

   Daniel: if we have any TD that doesn't comply the rules, will
   fail the TD validation; we should not check twice
   ... it will fail not on creation but during exposing

   [18]8.28 The expose() method

     [18] https://w3c.github.io/wot-scripting-api/#dom-exposedthing-expose

   [19]https://www.w3.org/TR/2019/CR-wot-thing-description-2019051
   6/#sec-default-values

     [19] https://www.w3.org/TR/2019/CR-wot-thing-description-20190516/#sec-default-values

   <inserted> [20]TD spec - 5.4 Default Value Definitions

     [20] https://www.w3.org/TR/2020/REC-wot-thing-description-20200409/#sec-default-values

   Zoltan: wondering if the expose steps are now correct

   Daniel: we don't need the expand step
   ... no need to specify since if a value is not found, the
   client can take the default value

   Zoltan: then we need to incorporate that in our steps

   Kaz: it might make sense to discuss this with the TD TF on
   Wednesday
   ... based on concrete use case

   Zoltan: makes sense

   Daniel: the problem is that people are on holiday

   Zoltan: we can do that later
   ... we should track this in an issue

   <scribe> ACTION: ZK to create issue in Scripting and TD spec
   about handling default values

PR 234

   <kaz> [21]PR 234

     [21] https://github.com/w3c/wot-scripting-api/pull/234

   Will be reviewed later.

Adding Cristiano as editor

   Zoltan: what is the affiliation

   Kaz: Invited Expert

   <scribe> ACTION: ZK to add CA as editor

Next call

   Daniel: we should invite Ege

   adjourned

Summary of Action Items

   [NEW] ACTION: ZK to add CA as editor
   [NEW] ACTION: ZK to create issue in Scripting and TD spec about
   handling default values
   [NEW] ACTION: ZK update rationale.md
   [NEW] ACTION: ZK update the readme.md

Summary of Resolutions

   [End of minutes]
     __________________________________________________________


    Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by
    David Booth's [22]scribe.perl version ([23]CVS log)
    $Date: 2020/08/26 10:36:43 $

     [22] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
     [23] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/
Received on Monday, 7 September 2020 06:49:45 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Monday, 7 September 2020 06:49:46 UTC