W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-wot-wg@w3.org > February 2020

[wot-marketing] minutes - 6 February 2020

From: Kazuyuki Ashimura <ashimura@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2020 17:30:11 +0900
Message-ID: <877e0lsjjg.wl-ashimura@w3.org>
To: public-wot-ig@w3.org, public-wot-wg@w3.org
available at:
  https://www.w3.org/2020/02/06-wot-marketing-minutes.html

also as text below.

Thanks a lot for taking the minutes, Michael McCool!

Kazuyuki

---
   [1]W3C

      [1] http://www.w3.org/

                               - DRAFT -

                             WoT-Marketing

06 Feb 2020

   [2]Agenda

      [2] https://www.w3.org/WoT/IG/wiki/Marketing_WebConf#Feb_6.2C_2019

Attendees

   Present
          Kaz_Ashimura, Michael_McCool, Alan_Bird,
          Tomoaki_Mizushima, Sebastian_Kaebisch, Daniel_Peintner,
          Ege_Korkan

   Regrets

   Chair
          Sebastian

   Scribe
          McCool

Contents

     * [3]Topics
         1. [4]Webpage status
         2. [5]Review previous minutes
         3. [6]Wikipedia
         4. [7]WoT for beginners
         5. [8]Upcoming events
     * [9]Summary of Action Items
     * [10]Summary of Resolutions
     __________________________________________________________

   <kaz> scribenick: McCool

Webpage status

   Sebastian: decision to move information to the marketing repo
   ... in particular the draft web site

   Daniel: created a pr to move content from my repo to the
   "w3c/wot-marketing" repo
   ... moving to the docs folder
   ... but we need the administrator to configure github to allow
   it to render
   ... kaz needs to do it

   <kaz> [11]PR 21

     [11] https://github.com/w3c/wot-marketing/pull/21

   Daniel: need to select the publishing source, 3rd option,
   master branch docs folder

   Sebastian: suggest that we go ahead and do this

   Kaz: no objection from me but we should make a resolution;
   normally we simply use the master branch for gh-pages but this
   time we would like to use "master branch's /docs sub folder"
   specifically for the "wot-marketing" repo

   proposal: use master/docs for website working material

   Daniel: reason is that there is a lot of clutter otherwise

   RESOLUTION: use master/docs for website working material

   Kaz: now, the question is what to do first
   ... I thought we could merge the pullrequest first and then
   change the gh-pages setting later
   ... but do we need/want to change the gh-pages setting before
   the merge?

   Daniel: it would be better to change the gh-pages setting first

   Sebastian: kaz, would you mind doing it now? need to create
   docs folder first?

   Kaz: checking the gh-pages setting menu but right now docs
   folder is greyed out

   McCool: probably need to merge first

   Sebastian: ok, merging then....

   <dape> [12]https://w3c.github.io/wot-marketing/

     [12] https://w3c.github.io/wot-marketing/

   Daniel: should be visible at the above url

   Kaz: ok, I've just changed the setting for gh-pages to "master
   branch's /docs folder"

   Sebastian: ok, does not show up yet, though

   (it takes some time for github.io to reflect the changes)

   Daniel: we may need to do some more configuration, e.g., Jekyil
   ... is it ok if I do it right away, or do you want another pr?

   Sebastian: should be ok to do it right away

   Daniel: ok, I will work on it

   Sebastian: in the meantime, let's go to the next topic...

   Kaz: before that, we should review the previous minutes

   Sebastian: ok

Review previous minutes

   <kaz> [13]Jan-30 minutes

     [13] https://www.w3.org/2020/01/30-wot-marketing-minutes.html

   Sebastian: any objections to accepting these minutes
   ... and making them available to the public?
   ... (reviews minutes)
   ... hearing no objections, these will go public

Wikipedia

   Sebastian: Ege, any updates?

   Ege: did some work, but nothing significant enough to ask for a
   new review

   Sebastian: alan, do you have any experience with wikipedia?
   ... we are trying to create a new entry for TDs, but was
   rejected twice
   ... have been asked to provide more references and more
   reliable references
   ... can you take a look and give us some feedback?

   Alan: I don't have any direct experience, but I will take a
   look; what are they saying?

   Ege: is there someone else in w3c that can help us?

   Alan: ok, I will work with coralie to see what we can come up
   with
   ... we need people outside of our immediate work group

   Kaz: thought Ege would work on these, but if we need help from
   other groups we could just talk with them directly, e.g., the
   Chairs of the JSON-LD WG

   Alan: as McCool said, need references from outside w3c

   Ege: I did put some, but not considered reliable or in-depth
   enough

   McCool: for reliable, probably need to be peer-reviewed; for
   in-depth, needs to be more than a passing mention

WoT for beginners

   [14]Sebastian's slides on "WoT for beginners"

     [14] https://github.com/w3c/wot-marketing/blob/master/material/wot_for_beginners.pptx

   Sebastian: I have prepared a simple slide deck
   ... have defined a user, and a task: integrate a lamp with a
   smart home
   ... but have an issue; different protocols, options for
   connecting
   ... starts to google, finds some information, but it's very
   complicated
   ... data models, protocols, etc.
   ... but finds a TD, this gives all the datamodels and protocols
   in one place
   ... finds some tools and tutorials she can use
   ... and then says it can be used in other domains, industry,
   smart cities, etc.
   ... just consider this a starting point

   McCool: I think we should spell out two key use cases:
   documentation, and automation

   Alan: a couple more use cases would be helpful; what form are
   these slides

   McCool: possible to share via github?

   Sebastian: sure, still very early draft

   Alan: better than what I have now
   ... like it, very clear, very basic

   McCool: I think this is a good user-oriented deck; for
   standards group, there is another "summary" deck I should add
   ... propose we create a wot-marketing/presentations directory

   <Alan> +1 to managed directory of presentations

   McCool: and have a small number of decks there with clear
   purposes
   ... I will put in my "WoT Summary" deck as well

   Kaz: yes, this kind of story and scenario is very useful
   especially for our 2nd-generation use case discussion as well
   as the upcoming press release

Upcoming events

   Alan: two events coming up
   ... one committment: Industry of Things World USA

   <Alan>
   [15]https://www.industryofthingsworldusa.com/sessions/group-b-4
   -standards-cafe-how-standards-help-us-all-get-along-in-the-new-
   playground-of-big-data/

     [15] https://www.industryofthingsworldusa.com/sessions/group-b-4-standards-cafe-how-standards-help-us-all-get-along-in-the-new-playground-of-big-data/

   Alan: they want us to run a "standards cafe"
   ... great chance for us to gather some input
   ... will be talking to the organizers this week; frame it

   McCool: maybe we can work on this in our 1:1 tomorrow

   Sebastian: siemens will also be giving a presentation at this
   event, will be talking about WoT
   ... Florian Michahelles, located in Berkeley
   ... should synchronize
   ... will send an introduction email right after call

   Alan: two weeks after that, IoT Tech Expo in London

   <Alan> [16]https://www.iottechexpo.com/global/speakers/

     [16] https://www.iottechexpo.com/global/speakers/

   Alan: Dave Raggett and Alan Bird will attend
   ... have been invited to a number of panels

   McCool: any speakers who are also WoT members?

   <Alan> Zafer Sahinoglu - Mitsubishi

   Alan: hmm... Mitsubishi is

   McCool: we should ask our contacts then

   <Alan> John Candish - SAP

   McCool: also sigfox

   Alan: please take a look, and if there is anyone you want me to
   reach out to, please let me know
   ... once we know topics we will register in W3C talk database
   ... should register the Siemens talk as well in IoTWorld

   <Zakim> kaz, you wanted to point out there is somebody from
   KDDI as well and to

   Kaz: also seems to be someone from KDDI in IoT Tech Expo

   McCool: we need to make sure that we make connections within
   partner companies as well
   ... also IETF and the Helsinki conferences

   <kaz> [17]Helsinki f2f wiki

     [17] https://www.w3.org/WoT/IG/wiki/F2F_meeting,_6-11_June_2020,_Helsinki

   Sebastian: I am also invited to a conference in Germany,
   "Building IoT", topic is IoT and Industrie 4.0
   ... event is organized by an IoT publisher; Kaiser

   <sebastian> [18]https://www.buildingiot.de/index.php?source=0

     [18] https://www.buildingiot.de/index.php?source=0

   <sebastian>
   [19]https://www.buildingiot.de/lecture.php?id=10855&source=0

     [19] https://www.buildingiot.de/lecture.php?id=10855&source=0

   Kaz: didn't we have a wiki page with target events?
   ... maybe this kind of information could go in the
   wot-marketing repo

   McCool: yes; and in fact, is there not a wiki page associated
   with the repo we could use?

   Sebastian: we should use these tools
   ... we should also consider getting blog posts, etc.

   McCool: suggest we discuss blogs, articles, etc in the next
   call

   Sebastian: (adds to agenda for next call)
   ... any other business?

   Ege: also, for next week: twitter account

   Kaz: will talk to other chairs about wikipedia, etc.
   ... will loop in mccool and seb

   <kaz> ACTION: kaz to talk with CSS Chairs about twitter usage
   and JSON-LD Chairs about wikipedia article

   <kaz> [adjourned]

Summary of Action Items

   [NEW] ACTION: kaz to talk with CSS Chairs about twitter usage
   and JSON-LD Chairs about wikipedia article

Summary of Resolutions

    1. [20]use master/docs for website working material

   [End of minutes]
     __________________________________________________________


    Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by
    David Booth's [21]scribe.perl version 1.154 ([22]CVS log)
    $Date: 2020/02/17 08:27:24 $

     [21] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
     [22] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/
Received on Monday, 17 February 2020 08:30:20 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Monday, 17 February 2020 08:30:21 UTC