W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-wot-wg@w3.org > November 2017

[wot-ig/wg] minutes - 22 November 2017

From: Kazuyuki Ashimura <ashimura@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2017 23:29:52 +0900
Message-ID: <CAJ8iq9WtXNS3L20ajN-N=uGNR27Fi38=aUqngrW113CRV5yvfg@mail.gmail.com>
To: Public Web of Things IG <public-wot-ig@w3.org>, public-wot-wg@w3.org
available at:
  https://www.w3.org/2017/11/22-wot-minutes.html

also as text below.

Thanks a lot for taking these minutes, Taki!

Kazuyuki

---

   [1]W3C

      [1] http://www.w3.org/

                               - DRAFT -

                               WoT IG/WG

22 Nov 2017

   [2]Agenda

      [2] https://www.w3.org/WoT/IG/wiki/Main_WoT_WebConf#22_Nov_2017

Attendees

   Present
          Kaz_Ashimura, Michael_Lagally, Taki_Kamiya,
          Daniel_Peintner, Kazuo_Kajimoto, Tomoaki_Mizushima,
          Toru_Kawaguchi, Uday_Davuluru, Darko_Anicic,
          Barry_Leiba, Graeme_Coleman,
          Keiichi_Tokuyama, Sebastian_Kaebisch, Yongjing_Zhang

   Regrets
          Michael_Koster, Matthias_Kovatsch

   Chair
          Kajimoto, Yongjing

   Scribe
          TK

Contents

     * [3]Topics
         1. [4]welcome Graeme Coleman
         2. [5]welcome Michael Lagally
         3. [6]TPAC mintues
         4. [7]Architecture issue 46
         5. [8]node-wot status
         6. [9]document update
     * [10]Summary of Action Items
     * [11]Summary of Resolutions
     __________________________________________________________

   <scribe> Scribe: TK

   <kaz> scribenick: taki

welcome Graeme Coleman

   Kaz: Graeme Coleman is a new member.

   Graeme: WoT and accessibility, I am interested in.
   ... Thank you for helping me aboard.

   Kajimoto: Welcome!

   Kaz: Accessibility is important. Tag is interested in WoT as
   well.

   Graeme: I will have something to present in a few weeks.

welcome Michael Lagally

   Michael Legally is introducing himself... Working for Oracle on
   IoT, learning interoperality with WoT. Working on other
   standards group. Thank you.

   Kajimoto: Thank you, Michael.

   Kaz: I put the summary from the presentation as PDF.

TPAC mintues

   <kaz> [12]f2f minutes

     [12] https://www.w3.org/2017/11/04-08-wot-minutes.html

   Kaz: also as HTML.
   ... Either version ok.
   ... We can finalize the minutes in the next week.
   ... There are many pictures in it.
   ... PLEASE SEND ME YOUR SLIDES TO ME.

   Kajimoto: Terminology. Mozilla said, our terminology "servient"
   is special, which is already a common sense in our group. We
   should use more common term in general.

   <kaz>
   [13]https://www.w3.org/2017/11/04-08-wot-minutes.html#nov6-item
   02

     [13] https://www.w3.org/2017/11/04-08-wot-minutes.html#nov6-item02

   Kajimoto: TD management and publication, we need to address
   them, This is another action.
   ... This will be discussed in TD call.

   <kaz>
   [14]https://www.w3.org/2017/11/04-08-wot-minutes.html#nov6-item
   03

     [14] https://www.w3.org/2017/11/04-08-wot-minutes.html#nov6-item03

   Kajimoto: Nov 4 th and 5th we did Plugfest preparation at
   Fujitsu office.

   <sebastian> sorry for my delay

   Kajimoto: We achieved to communicate between many servients as
   PoC across organizations.
   ... We had two days WoT IG/WG meeting.
   ... We discussed FPWD.
   ... and how to use the latest PlugFest result, and explained
   for newcomers.
   ... Please look at this minutes.
   ... I am one of the editors of architecture document.
   ... Next face to face will likely be in Prague.

   <kaz>
   [15]https://www.w3.org/2017/11/04-08-wot-minutes.html#nov7-item
   09

     [15] https://www.w3.org/2017/11/04-08-wot-minutes.html#nov7-item09

   Kajimoto: We should upgrade FPWD by next F2F.

   Kajimoto showing current plan in the document...

   <kaz> [16]Administration slides

     [16] https://www.w3.org/2017/11/wot-f2f/slides/2017_F2F-Burlingame-Next.pdf

   <kaz>

   <kaz> [Summary of the discussion on the f2f/publication
   planning]

   <kaz> f2f planning:

   <kaz> 2018-03: Prague right after OCF (Matthias, Koster, McCool
   to check the host)

   <kaz> 2018-06: Korea hosted by TTA(?)

   <kaz> 2018-10: Lyon, France (22-26 Oct 2018 during TPAC)

   <kaz> publication planning:

   <kaz> Binding Note: A few more cycles (in 6 weeks from now)

   <kaz> TD 2nd draft: begin 2018

   <kaz> Security Note: first Note next week; updated Note by the
   end of 2017 and publication in Jan 2018

   <kaz> Scripting 2nd draft: need to check with Zoltan

   <kaz> PlugFest guideline: end of Jan 2018

   <kaz> Architecture 2nd draft: Jan 2018

   <kaz> ]]

   Kajimoto: Protocol binding and Security documents, we need to
   also publish.
   ... Protocol binding is informal Note. Michael Koster is not
   present today, unfortunately.
   ... Security Notes, first version is due next week.

   Kaz: I am working with Elena on this.

   Kajimoto: TD second draft, beginning of 2018.
   ... Also, for scripting, we need to check with Zoltan. for the
   schedule.
   ... Architecture 2nd draft, we have 2 important imputs. Inputs
   from Mozilla, and other newcomers. "Servient" word is not easy
   to understand. This is one.
   ... Matsukura-san pointed out that, for interoperabiity between
   servients, we may need finer description or complementary
   documentation. Our experience in Plugfest need to be
   imporporated in architecture document.

Architecture issue 46

   Kajimoto: I added issues in GitHub in architecture repo.
   ... Issue# 46.

   <kajimoto>
   [17]https://github.com/w3c/wot-architecture/issues/46

     [17] https://github.com/w3c/wot-architecture/issues/46

   Kajimoto-san is showing slides to explain the issues...

   Kajimoto: Terminology "Servient".
   ... Two years ago, in 3rd or 4th f2f meeting in Sunnyvale, this
   terminology was proposed.
   ... We use this term as a common word now in this group.
   ... wrt building block, client and servient are symmetric in
   WoT, and can be cascaded.
   ... Devices are represented as WoT server.
   ... and also can be cascaded. each can serve as server and
   client. So we came up with "Servient" word, back in 2015.
   ... In WoT IG/WG, we used this term throughout. I understand
   this is a novel word for other people.
   ... In architecture document, "servient", this word needs to be
   described in terms of why we introduced this term.
   ... Servient use cases. Orchiestration and proxy, two use cases
   are important.
   ... WoT client is consuming thing, WoT server provides thing.
   ... Turn on AC, put commands in AC. This is one use case.
   Panasonic POC proposed, if I say "turn on AC, turn on Hue".
   This is one use case.
   ... We can introduce proxy. This is House in the slide.
   ... Which can orchestrate all commmands "At home", "Go out",
   etc.
   ... This WoT servient consumes Thing and expose Thing at the
   same time. This is first use case.
   ... Another is proxy use case.
   ... At plugfest in Osaka at Panasonic, WoT server exposes
   thing, and WoT client, both on internet. Panasonic and Fujitsu
   both had client and server.
   ... Fujitsu client could call Panasonic WoT server, and also
   the other way around. Siemens implementation was also used.
   ... In Dusseldorf, WoT client and servient talked on Internet.
   Also, OCF people contributed in Dusseldorf. Smart Things
   communicated on Internet.
   ... But we found WoT client could not access local Thing behind
   firewall.
   ... This became Matsukura-san's motivation.
   ... NAT traversal technology was used as an example.
   ... WoT client on internet, using STUN call, through STUN
   server, communicate with local server.
   ... In this case, both need to use STUN server.
   ... This PPT is about terminology, and also about
   Matsukura-san's requirement.
   ... Second solution introduces "local proxy". This WoT servient
   calls STUN server.
   ... The proxy can call local server. The server does not need
   to be customized for STUN.
   ... With Remote proxy, remote proxy can communicate with STUN
   server.
   ... In this case, client does not need to be customized, but
   the server needs to be.
   ... With Local and remote proxy, proxies use STUN call.
   ... Local proxy communicates with local server.
   ... Neither WoT client or WoT server need to be customized.
   ... I want to add two use cases, to describe the need for term
   "Servient"
   ... All roles, WoT client, two proxies, WoT server. They are
   all "servient".
   ... I would like to explain the rationale for "servient"
   terminology.
   ... in architecture document.

   Kaz: So you are proposing to continue to use "Servient".
   ... but We don't have to stick to this term.
   ... WoT server, WoT client, etc, could be used instead. the
   question is what would be easier to understand.

   Kajimoto: Architecture document is the basis document on which
   WoT is built on.

   Kaz: Matthias is assigned an action item related to this topic
   as well.
   ... I am not very sure if we need to introduce NAT traversal
   into the architecture document itself.
   ... Core architecture and implementation issues like NAT
   traversal should be split.

   Kajimoto: Architecture document, we can describe a link to such
   a document. This approach may be better.

   Kaz: We need to check with Matsukura-san.

node-wot status

   MLagally: Minutes slide. Node WoT implementation, and reference
   architecture. I would like to know more on this.

   Daniel: We plan to relaunch this in Eclipse.
   ... We intend to make it a reference implementation.
   ... Our goal is to have standard-compliant implementation.

   MLagally: Thank you, Daniel.

document update

   Kajimoto: By the next F2F, we should update our public
   documents.
   ... I proposed architecture document update plan today.
   ... script call, TD call, please update document according to
   schedule.
   ... Protocol Template and security need FP WG Notes.
   ... Please contribute, everyone.

   Kaz: Do you plan to update architecture document based on
   today's presentation, Kajimoto-san?

   Kajimoto: Complementary documents, at least I would like to add
   link to them.

   <kaz> kaz: so you're planning to updated the architecture
   document based on the feedback from the plugfest in burlingame

   <kaz> kajimoto: yes

   Sebastian: Do you want to add more consideration on proxies in
   architecture document, right?

   Kajimoto: The main idea is try to explain on "servient"
   terminology.

   Sebastian: OK. Thank you.

   Kaz: History of servient terminology, and feedback from
   Burlingame plugfest, two are related but separate, which was a
   bit confusing within the slide today.
   ... any other topics for today?

   (none)
   Kaz: In that case, please review the compiled minutes, and SEND
   IN SLIDES from the Burlingame face-to-face.

   Kajimoto: Then let's adjorn.
   ... the main call will be next Wednesday.
   ... Thank you.

   Daniel: Will we have editor's call today?

   Kaz: Let's reconvene next week.

   <kaz> [adjourned]

Summary of Action Items

Summary of Resolutions

   [End of minutes]
     __________________________________________________________


    Minutes formatted by David Booth's [18]scribe.perl version
    1.152 ([19]CVS log)
    $Date: 2017/11/22 14:26:54 $

     [18] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
     [19] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/
Received on Wednesday, 22 November 2017 14:31:04 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Wednesday, 22 November 2017 14:31:05 UTC