W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-wot-wg@w3.org > August 2017

[wot-ig/wg] minutes - 30 August 2017

From: Kazuyuki Ashimura <ashimura@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2017 09:35:06 +0900
Message-ID: <CAJ8iq9XDqVTbZg6pExVYuukDo-LDjJFk6wgzAPDb33nktwydZw@mail.gmail.com>
To: Public Web of Things IG <public-wot-ig@w3.org>, public-wot-wg@w3.org
available at:
  https://www.w3.org/2017/08/30-wot-minutes.html

also as text below.

Thanks a lot for taking the minutes, Michael McCool!

Kazuyuki

---

   [1]W3C

      [1] http://www.w3.org/

                               - DRAFT -

                               WoT IG/WG
                              30 Aug 2017

Attendees

   Present
          Michael_McCool, Barry_Leiba, Zoltan_Kis,
          Daniel_Peintner, Kaz_Ashimura, Dave_Raggett,
          Federico_SiSmondi, Kazuo_Kajimoto, Kunihiko_Toumura,
          Matthias_Kovatsch, Michael_Koster, Niklas_Widell,
          Ryuichi_Matsukura, Soumya_Kanti_Datta,
          Tomoaki_Mizushima, Uday_Davuluru, Masato_Ohura,
          Katsuyoshi_Naka, Yongjing_Zhang, Keiichi_Tokuyama

   Regrets
   Chair
          Matthias, McCool, Kajimoto

   Scribe
          McCool, kaz

Contents

     * [2]Topics
         1. [3]Pre-meeting
         2. [4]Quick updates
         3. [5]FPWD
         4. [6]Security workshops
         5. [7]Matsukura-san's proposal for PlugFest
         6. [8]PlugFest logistics
     * [9]Summary of Action Items
     * [10]Summary of Resolutions
     __________________________________________________________

   <mkovatsc>
   [11]https://www.w3.org/WoT/IG/wiki/Main_WoT_WebConf#Agenda

     [11] https://www.w3.org/WoT/IG/wiki/Main_WoT_WebConf#Agenda

   <McCool> scribenick: McCool

Pre-meeting

   pre-meeting discussion: security TF should create a basic
   outline of material to go in each "security considerations"
   section at least

   will also put in editor's notes saying these sections are works
   in progress

   security tf will work on making pull requests for this purpose
   in our next meeting monday

Quick updates

   kaz: TPAC, breakout session, need to clarify requirements,
   planner team needs to know
   ... we need to make decisions about what to be provided by W3C
   and which by us

   Matthias: added demo vs. plugfest sections to wiki
   ... will discuss later under TPAC logisitics

FPWD

   still a few issues for editors to resolve, but please review

   open issues, raise objections, etc.

   next week we want a resolution that docs are ready to forward
   to project manager

   will be meeting on 7th, documents to go online on 12th

   so we need to make final decision on 6th

   please also report typos etc

   (will be reviewed on 7th by project management team)

   architecture document has quite a bit of restructuring

   <mkovatsc> [12]https://w3c.github.io/wot-architecture/

     [12] https://w3c.github.io/wot-architecture/

   also terminology doc, decided to leave it in md for now for
   easier editing

   <mkovatsc>
   [13]https://github.com/w3c/wot-architecture/blob/master/termino
   logy.md

     [13] https://github.com/w3c/wot-architecture/blob/master/terminology.md

   please take a look, use issue tracker

   also look at existing issues

   any comments for other documents?

   anyone what to make any specific requests for things to review?

   <mkovatsc> [14]https://w3c.github.io/wot-scripting-api/

     [14] https://w3c.github.io/wot-scripting-api/

   matthias: terminology needs to be checked, add terms as
   necessary

   we also want to get the TD document out as part of the FPWD

   <mkovatsc> [15]https://w3c.github.io/wot-thing-description/

     [15] https://w3c.github.io/wot-thing-description/

   so please use the issue tracker to review that as well

   also architecture

   [16]https://github.com/w3c/wot-architecture

     [16] https://github.com/w3c/wot-architecture

   protocol binding will be excluded, not part of this FPWD

   also details in other documents about this will be omitted for
   now

   matthias: there is a placeholder for protocol bindings in TD
   document for now...

   matthias: did not think we could get this out in time, better
   to defer it than release something half-baked

   koster: others look pretty good, agree template document not at
   that level yet

   matthias: one issue is status of mk

   kaz: ppssibly mk can be an invited expert by the end of
   Friday... so delay will be in the scope of weeks

   can target mid-September for a publication date

   matthias: to summarize: please look at arch, scripting, and TD

   do review before next wednesday

   if you don't provide feedback by Friday though we won't have
   time for bigger fixes

   mccool: we will also only be doing security pull requests for
   outlines in each section on Monday

   <kaz> scribenick: kaz

Security workshops

   <mkovatsc>
   [17]http://www.internetsociety.org/events/ndss-symposium

     [17] http://www.internetsociety.org/events/ndss-symposium

   <kaz>
   [18]https://www.ieee-security.org/TC/SP2018/cfworkshops.html

     [18] https://www.ieee-security.org/TC/SP2018/cfworkshops.html

   mccool: 2 candidates: NDSS and IEEE
   ... during the security tf calls we looked at those candidates
   ... NDSS will be February
   ... IEEE will be May
   ... the deadline for NDSS is tomorrow
   ... I'm generating draft proposal
   ... deadline for IEEE is September 20
   ... would try to submit a proposal for NDSS tomorrow
   ... if NDSS guys say NO, would submit the proposal to IEEE
   ... would avoid duplication
   ... need an organizing/program committee
   ... people to be on the call
   ... ideally with background of security
   ... anybody willing to join?
   ... program chair or program committee
   ... please let me know right now :)
   ... will add your name
   ... if you have experience of workshops, let me know
   ... it's an academic conference, so should be familiar with
   standard/academia
   ... very narrow scope
   ... reviewing our proposed standards

   <Soumya> i can help, i already run such workshops

   mccool: if rejected, we can try IEEE
   ... IEEE is more academic workshop
   ... NDSS rather invited papers
   ... we can negotiate with NDSS editors group as well

   matthias: this is a workshop which should review our standards
   ... goals achieve for our specs

   mccool: metadata, interoperability, etc., impacts security for
   WoT
   ... as narrow as possible
   ... getting review for our specs
   ... Web standards applicable to WoT
   ... Hydra, etc.
   ... one day easily

   matthias: how to combine security building block
   ... there are a lot of security portions out there

   mccool: my current proposal is "IoT Security"
   ... easily have 5-day conf
   ... making a bit focused
   ... as narrow as possible

   matthias: probably some of the IETF standards as well

   mccool: right
   ... CoAP, etc.
   ... technically IETF standards
   ... same issue with bridging
   ... including OCF

   matthias: make sense

   mccool: broad enough and focused on security for IoT standards
   ... and we have interoperability viewpoint
   ... still narrow enough
   ... will circulate the proposal tomorrow before submitting it
   ... shor-term issue is participation
   ... will send a call for participation
   ... maybe Barry and Soumya?

   barry: yes

   soumya: yes

   matthias: anybody have background with NDSS?

   barry: yes

   matthias: would be quite helpful

   mccool: we need to know the result of NDSS by Sep 20
   ... if NDSS one is rejected, would try IEEE right away

   matthias: tx

Matsukura-san's proposal for PlugFest

   [19]Matsukura-san's issue on plugfest (#346)

     [19] https://github.com/w3c/wot/issues/346

   [20]Matsukura-san's slides

     [20] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-wot-ig/2017Aug/att-0026/plugefest_TPAC2017_170830b.pptx

   matsu: objective
   ... unresolved issues
   ... functional roles of WoT servients

   (trouble with WebEx audio and Matsukura-san rejoins)

   matsu: [Functional roles of WoT Servients]
   ... 3 types of servients
   ... 1. SV with ExposedThing (device)
   ... 2. SV with ConsumedThing (app)
   ... 3. SV with Exposed/ConsumedThing (gateway)
   ... basic integration model: SV with ExposedThing <=> SV with
   Consumed/ExposedThing <=> SV with ConsumedThing
   ... [Unresolved issues for plugfest]
   ... how to search/get TD from the other SVs
   ... how to collect/manage TD exposed by SVs
   ... how to communicate between SVs, transport protocols
   (binding) and payload format (TD)
   ... how to operate SVs from cloud/internet
   ... how to orchestrate SVs in a large scale
   ... how to protect SVs from cyber attacks
   ... please add your issues to the f2f wiki

   uday: anticipation of binding
   ... more for class implementation for different protocols
   ... interface between Servients is TD
   ... so not directly related to binding?

   matsu: would like to get information from you all

   kaz: there should be some feedback about binding as well
   ... given people are working on various protocols

   matthias: good to go along with binding and media types

   uday: you can add security portion as well

   matthias: the idea was that each participant get prepared
   ... and see what is used
   ... what is the initial idea to describe TD, etc.
   ... collection mechanism by wiki
   ... e.g., HTTPS mechanism by Panasonic

   matsu: would like to get some small amount of requirements
   first

   matthias: one comment from the Chairs call
   ... Current Practices document
   ... we need to have a complete/overall document
   ... interesting to include these expectations
   ... fot plugfest itself

PlugFest logistics

   kaz: updated the f2f wiki with logistics information for
   plugfest

   [21]https://www.w3.org/WoT/IG/wiki/F2F_meeting,_4-10_November_2
   017,_Burlingame,_CA,_USA#PlugFest_Venue

     [21] https://www.w3.org/WoT/IG/wiki/F2F_meeting,_4-10_November_2017,_Burlingame,_CA,_USA#PlugFest_Venue

   matthias: ok
   ... will meet at Fujitsu in Sunnyvale
   ... during weekend
   ... finalize the demo there
   ... because it's TPAC, so we just have usual meeting rooms
   ... we need to clarify standard configuration for plugfest
   ... would require additional cost for the setting
   ... matsukura-san has started to collect information for
   plugfest

   mccool: can bring HDMI switch which can provide 4-5 outputs

   matthias: we should clarify what's needed and what can be
   brought on the wiki

   kaz: using the plugfest table?

   matthias: no, new list below that

   <mkovatsc>
   [22]https://www.w3.org/WoT/IG/wiki/F2F_meeting,_4-10_November_2
   017,_Burlingame,_CA,_USA#TPAC_Plenary_Demo_.288_Nov_2017.29

     [22] https://www.w3.org/WoT/IG/wiki/F2F_meeting,_4-10_November_2017,_Burlingame,_CA,_USA#TPAC_Plenary_Demo_.288_Nov_2017.29

   matthias: Kaz, please continue to work with the meeting planner
   team about the cost

   mccool: a bit concerned the cost would be much given the hotel
   rate...

   kaz: will let you know about the cost when it's clarified

   matthias: anything else?

   (none)

   [ adjourned ]

Summary of Action Items

Summary of Resolutions

   [End of minutes]
     __________________________________________________________


    Minutes formatted by David Booth's [23]scribe.perl version
    1.152 ([24]CVS log)
    $Date: 2017/08/31 00:32:41 $

     [23] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
     [24] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/
Received on Thursday, 31 August 2017 00:36:14 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Thursday, 31 August 2017 00:36:15 UTC