W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-wot-ig@w3.org > June 2020

[wot-poc] minutes - 2 June 2020

From: Kazuyuki Ashimura <ashimura@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2020 19:54:26 +0900
Message-ID: <87sgewr44d.wl-ashimura@w3.org>
To: public-wot-ig@w3.org, public-wot-wg@3.org
available at:
  https://www.w3.org/2020/06/02-wot-poc-minutes.html

also as text below.

Thanks,

Kazuyuki

---
   [1]W3C

      [1] http://www.w3.org/

                               - DRAFT -

                                WoT PoC

02 Jun 2020

Attendees

   Present
          Kaz_Ashimura, Jennifer_Lin, Kunihiko_Toumura,
          Michael_McCool, Farshid_Tavakolizadeh,
          Sebastian_Kaebisch, Tomoaki_Mizushima, David_Ezell

   Regrets

   Chair
          McCool

   Scribe
          kaz

Contents

     * [2]Topics
         1. [3]Prev minutes
         2. [4]Agenda for today
         3. [5]Schedule review
         4. [6]F2F planning
         5. [7]ACIOA talk
         6. [8]Discovery design
     * [9]Summary of Action Items
     * [10]Summary of Resolutions
     __________________________________________________________

   <scribe> scribenick: kaz

Prev minutes

   [11]May-26

     [11] https://www.w3.org/2020/05/26-wot-poc-minutes.html

   McCool: look fine
   ... "Jue" to be "June"
   ... "loca" to be "local"
   ... also new url for the f2f wiki to be used
   ... any objections to publish the minutes?

   (none)

   McCool: approved

Agenda for today

   <McCool>
   [12]https://www.w3.org/WoT/IG/wiki/PoC_WebConf#2_June_2020

     [12] https://www.w3.org/WoT/IG/wiki/PoC_WebConf#2_June_2020

   McCool: Smart City for today
   ... ACIOA talk tomorrow
   ... Chinn is moderating the session

Schedule review

   McCool: next week will be retail
   ... regarding the PoC call on June 16, would cancel if it's ok
   by you all

   Jennifer: fine

   McCool: (put "cancelled due to plugfest" to the agenda for June
   16 call)
   ... the following week
   ... June 23
   ... cancelled due to virtual f2f
   ... but will be another meeting scheduled to discuss PoCs and
   use cases
   ... 30 June 2020
   ... cancelled due to post-f2f recovery
   ... so the next meeting will be July 7
   ... for Smart City
   ... any holiday information?

   Jennifer: the next holiday will be in August in Singapore

   McCool: ok

   [13]https://www.w3.org/WoT/IG/wiki/F2F_meeting_2020_2nd

     [13] https://www.w3.org/WoT/IG/wiki/F2F_meeting_2020_2nd

   McCool: note that we've renamed the URL of the virtual f2f wiki
   to avoid confusion caused by the new dates
   ... (put the URL on the June 23 call agenda))

F2F planning

   McCool: next topic is f2f planning
   ... will be talking about the PoC work during the T2TRG
   workshop on June 8
   ... will add information to the virtual f2f wiki
   ... important thing is that we're still working on the concrete
   agenda

   [14]Requests to speak for the T2TRG workshop

     [14] https://www.w3.org/WoT/IG/wiki/F2F_meeting_2020_2nd#Requests_to_Speak

   McCool: note that everything will be publicly published

   Jennifer: all the use cases we've already provided are fine

   McCool: (shows some slides on "Smart City IoT Standards")
   ... smart city use case study: GovTech Singapore
   ... (including the picture from the BBC news the other day)

   Jennifer: can provide some actual picture for the slide
   ... a lot of people are concerned about privacy issues, etc.

   McCool: can email the slides to you
   ... and you can think about the content as well

   Jennifer: the current one looks good

   McCool: any other comments?
   ... that was for the workshop part
   ... and then next is our own f2f

   [15]F2F topics

     [15] https://www.w3.org/WoT/IG/wiki/F2F_meeting_2020_2nd#Topics_.28Tentative.29

   McCool: still working on the agenda

   [16]requests to speak

     [16] https://www.w3.org/WoT/IG/wiki/F2F_meeting_2020_2nd#Requests_to_Speak_2

   McCool: would move PoC topics to the main agenda
   ... (adds PoC topics to the "Topics" section)
   ... PoCs
   ... * EdgeX, Conexxus
   ... * GovTech Singapore, Lin/McCool

   Jennifer: still in the conceptual phase, though
   ... what could be possible and expected, etc.

   McCool: that's OK
   ... what is required/expected
   ... is the time OK?

   Jennifer: will make myself available during the week

   McCool: (put the topics to the "Agenda" section)
   ... on Tuesday, June 23

   Jennifer: ok
   ... will have a look and give comments by the end of Friday, 19
   ... think I can provide resources by Thursday

   McCool: good

ACIOA talk

   McCool: as already mentioned
   ... W3C would like to promote South Asia as well
   ... Chinn will moderate a workshop
   ... (shows his slides, Converging Standards fr Smart Cities)
   ... based on the talk at the Munich workshop
   ... part 1 by Eric Siow, part 2 by myself
   ... (goes through the slides)
   ... What can W3C and ASEAN smart cities do?
   ... What can the W3C do?
   ... Calls to Action
   ... IoT data and metadata standards
   ... will send the PDF to Chinn

   Jennifer: feel free to send it to me too
   ... can review it

   McCool: tx

Discovery design

   McCool: (visits the wot-discovery repo)

   <McCool>
   [17]https://github.com/w3c/wot-discovery/blob/master/design.md

     [17] https://github.com/w3c/wot-discovery/blob/master/design.md

   McCool: discovery design draft above
   ... this is simply preliminary
   ... required to submit an explainer too
   ... capturing design decision and motivation
   ... will add them too
   ... there are different approaches
   ... note that it's still subject to change
   ... existing mechanisms here to boot up the discovery
   ... an introduction phase and an exploration phase
   ... some of the services need to get registered

   Jennifer: guess my quick understanding
   ... go through the URLs

   McCool: simplest one is URL's pointing where the TD is
   ... want to put TDs at some well-known location
   ... such as "/.well-known/wot-td"
   ... when we have type information, DNS-SD could return the TD
   ... Sebastian, are you OK with sharing you ideas o discovery

   Sebstian: Christian is the person working on discovery

   McCool: ok
   ... let me check with him then
   ... next, LinkSmart allows queries
   ... very powerfull
   ... but JSONPath is not yet a standard
   ... on the other hand, XPath is already a standard
   ... also what about SPARQL Query?
   ... very powerful but requires more powerful devices
   ... so for kind of advanced devices
   ... Standardized Directory Service
   ... would focus on TCP/HTTP
   ... let's consider TLS-based connection
   ... but possibly use HTTP for local usage

   Jennifer: depends on the security mechanism required

   McCool: yeah
   ... 2 issues there
   ... TLS connection and authentication
   ... what kind of security scheme to be handled is described in
   another section
   ... (shows the "Authentication/Authorization" section)
   ... (also the "Directory Network API will be Described in a TD"
   section)
   ... should think about the semantics
   ... TD for directory indicates security schemes
   ... currently listed:

   

   Basic authentication (basic scheme)

   Digest authentication (digest scheme)

   JWT Tokens (bearer scheme)

   OAuth2 (similar to JWT tokens, but provides information about
   where to get the tokens)

   ]]

   Farshid: LinkSmart uses OAuth2

   McCool: the TD specifies which scheme to be used
   ... but need to think about which flow, client, or device
   ... in any case, "none" should be disallowed except in
   development environments
   ... what we have to do includes timestamp when got the latest
   access
   ... add context, etc.
   ... pagination at result granularity would be a mandatory
   feature for low-power devices
   ... (also mentions DID)
   ... (and QR codes)

   Jennifer: QR codes would make sense
   ... no management to certificate
   ... once expired, the user needs to login again

   McCool: should boil down the details
   ... we have to have some way to handle that (=possible Web page
   to show QR code, etc.)
   ... same key could be used for multiple devices

   Jennifer: should have some automated mechanism

   McCool: let's capture some of the issues on GitHub

   [18]new issue

     [18] https://github.com/w3c/wot-discovery/issues/26

   Kaz: we can think about the combination of the existing
   methods, e.g., QR codes as UI for DID

   McCool: right

   <McCool> [19]https://github.com/w3c/wot-discovery/issues/26

     [19] https://github.com/w3c/wot-discovery/issues/26

   McCool: if you have any comments, please put them to the issue
   above
   ... the topic for the next week is "Retail"

   [adjourned]

Summary of Action Items

Summary of Resolutions

   [End of minutes]
     __________________________________________________________


    Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by
    David Booth's [20]scribe.perl version ([21]CVS log)
    $Date: 2020/06/08 04:55:43 $

     [20] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
     [21] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/
Received on Monday, 15 June 2020 10:53:38 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Monday, 15 June 2020 10:53:39 UTC