W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-wot-ig@w3.org > August 2020

[wot-ig/wg] minutes - 5 August 2020

From: Kazuyuki Ashimura <ashimura@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2020 16:49:25 +0900
Message-ID: <87364lempm.wl-ashimura@w3.org>
To: public-wot-ig@w3.org, public-wot-wg@w3.org
available at:
  https://www.w3.org/2020/08//05-wot-minutes.html

also as text below.

Thanks a lot for taking the minutes, Michael McCool!

Kazuyuki

---
   [1]W3C

      [1] http://www.w3.org/

                               - DRAFT -

                               WoT-IG/WG

05 Aug 2020

   [2]Agenda

      [2] https://www.w3.org/WoT/IG/wiki/Main_WoT_WebConf#5_August_2020

Attendees

   Present
          Kaz_Ashimura, Jennifer_Lin, Daniel_Peintner,
          Sebastian_Kaebisch, Michael_Lagally, Michael_McCool,
          Ege_Korkan, Tomoaki_Mizushima, Ryuichi_Matsukura,
          David_Ezell

   Regrets
          Kunihiko_Toumura, Michael_Koster

   Chair
          Sebastian, McCool

   Scribe
          McCool

Contents

     * [3]Topics
         1. [4]Guests
         2. [5]Prev minutes
         3. [6]MiniApps
         4. [7]Publishing
         5. [8]APAN 50
         6. [9]IETF108 and WISHI
         7. [10]New timeslot for Arch
         8. [11]Conexxus strategy meeting
         9. [12]ITU-T liaison
        10. [13]Updated schedule
        11. [14]TPAC F2F planning
        12. [15]Cancellations
        13. [16]Task force report - mainly Marketing
     * [17]Summary of Action Items
     * [18]Summary of Resolutions
     __________________________________________________________

   <kaz> scribenick: McCool

Guests

   no guests today

Prev minutes

   review minutes:
   [19]https://www.w3.org/2020/07/29-wot-minutes.html

     [19] https://www.w3.org/2020/07/29-wot-minutes.html

   any objections?

   hearing none, minutes will be published

MiniApps

   Sebastian: MiniApps, kaz and daniel joined, please give us an
   update

   <sebastian>
   [20]https://www.w3.org/2020/07/miniapp-virtual-meeting/agenda.h
   tml

     [20] https://www.w3.org/2020/07/miniapp-virtual-meeting/agenda.html

   Kaz: miniapps is platform for web application mashup
   ... proposed by the MiniApps CG participants, e.g., Huawei,
   Xiaomi, Alibaba, etc.
   ... there was a proposal to form a WG, but my impression is
   they might want to start with an IG to clarify further possible
   use cases and requirements from global industry viewpoint as
   well

   Sebastian: any relation to WoT?

   McCool: connection to WoT: overlap with PWAs needs to be sorted
   out, then PWA are (potentially) connected to edge computing
   which is (potentially) connected to WoT

   Kaz: proposed a joint meeting (either during the WoT main call
   or during TPAC) to have discussion during the MiniApps meeting

   Daniel: think it would be beneficial for them to explain their
   point of view and goals
   ... there could be some relation with respect to scripting at
   least
   ... slides and videos were meant to be reviewed in advance,
   watch for that

   McCool: in general, watch out for "homework required" calls

   Sebastian: mainly concentrated on mobile, right?
   ... anyhow, let's see if we set up a joint meeting

   Kaz: ok, I will ask for a meeting

   McCool: also good to add this to F2F wiki page, with topics
   "scripting" and "edge computing"

Publishing

   [21]Publishing@W3C Webinar

     [21] https://www.w3.org/2020/07/publ-webinar/

   Kaz: there are WG, BG and CG on Publishing@W3C
   ... paper and online publishing companies used to be interested
   in epub format for ebooks
   ... but getting also interested in media in general and further
   collaboration, so I proposed joint meetings, one with MEIG and
   another with WoT

   McCool: for media control?

   Kaz: yes; mostly looking at ebooks, but now also looking at
   tv-based browsers, etc.

   Sebastian: ok, let's add that to the joint meeting list; topic
   "Media control"

   Kaz: also synchronization

APAN 50

   [22]APAN 50

     [22] https://apan50.hk/

   Kaz: Kiura-san, the Agriculture CG Chair, invited me to a
   conference related to smart cities and smart agriculture in
   Asian areas
   ... there were two sessions, "Rural hybridization" and "Open &
   Sharing Data"

   * [23]Rural hybridization session
    https://apan2020.apan.net/?p=444

   * [24]Open & Sharing Data

     [24] https://apan2020.apan.net/?p=440

   McCool: this overlaps somewhat with the smart cities activities
   within W3C
   ... logistics of delivery, for instance

   Kaz: Kiura-san and some more presenters there want to have
   joint discussion with us, so I'd like to invite them to one of
   the WoT main calls

IETF108 and WISHI

   McCool: did not go to IETF108, should ask Koster for an update
   later
   ... as for WISHI, main topic was microsoft's DTDL
   ... which overlaps with TDTs
   ... an open question is whether there is a direct mapping
   between the two

   <sebastian>
   [25]https://codimd.ietf.org/t2trg-wishi-2020-07-30-notes#

     [25] https://codimd.ietf.org/t2trg-wishi-2020-07-30-notes

   Sebastian: another topic was CoAP and RDF for protocol binding
   ... we talked about supporting this through IANA, since they
   already have machine-readable formats eg XML
   ... and it might be possible to do a mechanical and automatic
   mapping, and maybe have them host it
   ... and might be possible to implement this mapping with XSLT
   ... if we did this, it would save us a lot of time

   Lagally: on dtdl, is a certain overlap, harmonization with tdt
   ... want to see how we can do alignment, for instance around
   profiles
   ... in general we should actively engage with them, and we
   should work hard to avoid fragmentation

   Sebastian: my understanding is that they also wish to avoid
   fragmentation, and are aware of WoT, and are open to
   collaboration
   ... next step is to invite them to main call, and possibly also
   TD call; they are already W3C and WoT members, easy for them to
   join

   Lagally: maybe a use case call... understand why they did their
   own data format

   Sebastian: probably next step is main call
   ... then discuss next steps

   Kaz: who to invite?

   Sebastian: Brian Crawford from Microsoft

New timeslot for Arch

   Sebastian: updated on wiki page, call table

   McCool: also updated outlook invites

   * [26]Arch wiki
    https://www.w3.org/WoT/IG/wiki/WG_WoT_Architecture_WebConf

   * [27]Webconf table

     [27] https://www.w3.org/WoT/IG/wiki/Main_Page#WebConf_Meetings

Conexxus strategy meeting

   [28]Conexxus Strategy Meeting 2020

     [28] https://www.conexxus.org/events/asc-2020

   David: will be recording a call today
   ... Kristen Call and Michael McCool will be talking about
   standards and WoT there
   ... and talking about node-RED, etc.
   ... have had resonance

   McCool: will have to look at video we have to see if it can be
   used

ITU-T liaison

   Sebastian: in progress... use case discussion in progress,
   meeting tomorrow

   Lagally: if people have time to reviews

   <mlagally> All SG 20 documents:
   [29]https://www.itu.int/ITU-T/recommendations/index_sg.aspx?sg=
   20
   Here are the individual references for the documents mentioned
   on the call:
  https://www.itu.int/ITU-T/recommendations/index_sg.aspx?sg=20

   *
   [30]https://www.itu.int/ITU-T/recommendations/rec.aspx?rec=1169
   9
  https://www.itu.int/ITU-T/recommendations/rec.aspx?rec=11699

   *
   [31]https://www.itu.int/ITU-T/recommendations/rec.aspx?rec=1264
   7
  https://www.itu.int/ITU-T/recommendations/rec.aspx?rec=12647

   *
   [32]https://www.itu.int/ITU-T/recommendations/rec.aspx?rec=1302
   7
  https://www.itu.int/ITU-T/recommendations/rec.aspx?rec=13027

   *
   [33]https://www.itu.int/ITU-T/recommendations/rec.aspx?rec=1363
   7

     [33] https://www.itu.int/ITU-T/recommendations/rec.aspx?rec=13637

Updated schedule

   Sebastian: updated now with FPWD dates
   ... and also final publication targets
   ... or rather, deadlines

   McCool: I think each TF should fill in some intermediate
   targets, and we also could use some FPWD goals for TD2.0 and
   Arch2.0

TPAC F2F planning

   <inserted> [34]WoT TPAC wiki

     [34] https://www.w3.org/WoT/IG/wiki/F2F_meeting,_October_2020

   Sebastian: review of dates for F2F; resolution last meeting
   ... need to confirm dates for plugfest

   proposal: to hold online plugfest during the week of Sept
   28-Oct 2, with one meeting daily (same format as last time)

   RESOLUTION: to hold online plugfest during the week of Sept
   28-Oct 2, with one meeting daily (same format as last time)

   McCool: need to start organizing topics for F2F

   Kaz: please also document time for 9-10am ET for plugfest call
   ... also this is before daylight savings time change

   Sebastian: also are collecting joint meetings and topics for
   each

   McCool: wonder if MEIG and Publishing should be together, and
   media control can be discussed with MEIG
   ... regarding plugfest, VPN will be set up but will not be
   mandatory

Cancellations

   Sebastian: see addition of marketing and PoC cancellations
   ... on main call wiki page

   <kaz> [35]meeting cancellations

     [35] https://www.w3.org/WoT/IG/wiki/Main_WoT_WebConf#Cancellations

Task force report - mainly Marketing

   <sebastian> [36]doodle ongoing

     [36] https://doodle.com/poll/kbrnwpxcukmhgexc

   Sebastian: selective, due to timing
   ... for marketing, note the doodle for the new time
   ... also, review the new web page

   <sebastian> [37]https://w3c.github.io/wot-marketing/

     [37] https://w3c.github.io/wot-marketing/

   <kaz> Note that the above new "WoT Welcome page" has links to
   the following related pages which are also to be reviewed:
   * [38]https://w3c.github.io/wot-marketing/wg/
    https://w3c.github.io/wot-marketing/wg/

   * [39]https://w3c.github.io/wot-marketing/ig/
    https://w3c.github.io/wot-marketing/ig/

   * [40]https://w3c.github.io/wot-marketing/cg/
    https://w3c.github.io/wot-marketing/cg/

   * [41]https://w3c.github.io/wot-marketing/developers/

     [41] https://w3c.github.io/wot-marketing/developers/

   Sebastian: please provide feedback
   ... right now we are discussing what the URL will be

   Lagally: want to understand how navigation to existing
   material, i.e. wikis
   ... does it replace existing pages?

   Sebastian: will replace two things; the
   [42]https://www.w3.org/WoT/ landing page
   ... currently undergoing redesign...
   ... and then [43]https://www.w3.org/WoT/IG will be replaced
   (this one is under our direct control)

     [42] https://www.w3.org/WoT/
     [43] https://www.w3.org/WoT/IG

   <kaz> We can set up redirections for:
   [44]https://www.w3.org/WoT/WG/ =>
   [45]https://w3c.github.io/wot-marketing/wg/
   and:
   [46]https://www.w3.org/WoT/IG/ =>
   [47]https://w3c.github.io/wot-marketing/ig/
   However, at the moment we can't set up the redirection for:
   [48]https://www.w3.org/WoT/welcome =>
   [49]https://w3c.github.io/wot-marketing/
   and need to wait until the site redesign project is done.

     [44] https://www.w3.org/WoT/WG/
     [45] https://w3c.github.io/wot-marketing/wg/
     [46] https://www.w3.org/WoT/IG/
     [47] https://w3c.github.io/wot-marketing/ig/
     [48] https://www.w3.org/WoT/welcome
     [49] https://w3c.github.io/wot-marketing/

   Lagally: one simple use case; someone want to join a WoT call,
   how do they find that information, without necessarily knowing
   about the IG/WG structure, etc.

   Sebastian: new page has a "Calls and Meetings" in an attempt to
   find this information easy to find
   ... should probably also put it in the main menu

   Daniel: this is definitely one of our goals
   ... this is just a starting point

   Lagally: suggest links to task forces at the top level

   McCool: I think what we want to do is emphasize the task
   forces; the ig/wg breakdown is basically just a technicality

   Daniel: ok, I will make a proposal and we can discuss next time

   Kaz: we should clarify what kind of information is needed for
   what kind of people, and create an issue
   ... personal suggestion is that it will be easier to maintain
   if static information is on the web page and dynamic
   information is in wiki page
   ... not really reuse, but how to split static/dynamic content
   ... for next step, need to think again about content is needed
   and with what emphasis and priority

   Sebastian: no-one is against this; what ml points out is that
   we should mention task forces in main pages

   Kaz: suggest that Lagally create an issue on the marketing repo
   and we discuss there; perhaps also mm

   Ege: good that we think of people who are NOT already in the
   W3C IG/WG
   ... and make sure we provide guidance to people so they know
   where to start

   <kaz> [adjourned]

Summary of Action Items

Summary of Resolutions

    1. [50]to hold online plugfest during the week of Sept 28-Oct
       2, with one meeting daily (same format as last time)

   [End of minutes]
     __________________________________________________________


    Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by
    David Booth's [51]scribe.perl version ([52]CVS log)
    $Date: 2020/08/12 12:12:26 $

     [51] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
     [52] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/
Received on Monday, 17 August 2020 07:49:34 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Monday, 17 August 2020 07:49:34 UTC