W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-wot-ig@w3.org > April 2020

[wot-ig/wg] minutes - 8 April 2020

From: Kazuyuki Ashimura <ashimura@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2020 10:09:21 +0900
Message-ID: <87k11xkce6.wl-ashimura@w3.org>
To: public-wot-ig@w3.org, public-wot-wg@w3.org
available at:
  https://www.w3.org/2020/04/08-wot-minutes.html

also as text below.

Thanks a lot for taking the minutes, Dave!

Kazuyuki

---
   [1]W3C

      [1] http://www.w3.org/

                               - DRAFT -

                               WoT-IG/WG

08 Apr 2020

Attendees

   Present
          Kaz_Ashimura, Michael_McCool, Dave_Raggett,
          Kunihiko_Toumura, Michael_Koster, Ege_Korkan,
          Tetsushi_Matsuda, Ryuichi_Matsukura, Zoltan_Kis,
          Takahisa_Suzuki, Tomoaki_Mizushima

   Regrets
          Sebastian_Kaebisch

   Chair
          McCool

   Scribe
          Dave

Contents

     * [2]Topics
         1. [3]Previous minutes
         2. [4]Quick updates
         3. [5]June Face to Face
         4. [6]TPAC
         5. [7]Developer outreach
         6. [8]Protocol Bindings
         7. [9]Task Force reports
     * [10]Summary of Action Items
     * [11]Summary of Resolutions
     __________________________________________________________

   scribenick: dsr

Previous minutes

   we review the minutes of last week

   The Helsinki meeting will now be online rather than face to
   face

   <kaz> [12]Apr-1 minutes

     [12] https://www.w3.org/2020/04/01-wot-minutes.html

   <McCool> [13]https://github.com/t2trg/wishi/wiki/Agenda-items

     [13] https://github.com/t2trg/wishi/wiki/Agenda-items

   <McCool> above link is for T2TRG hackathon tomorrow

   The T2TRG meeting will go ahead as a virtual meeting

   McCool: I have some follow up on developer outreach

   Any objections to approving the minutes?

   [no]

   We now discuss the compiled minutes from the virtual face to
   face. Kaz notes that they are all ready.

   Kaz fixed links to presentations, not substantial changes

   <kaz> [14]vf2f minutes

     [14] https://www.w3.org/2020/03/16-19-wot-vf2f-minutes.html

   Any objections to approving the minutes for the virtual face to
   face?

   [no]

Quick updates

   Proposed change for some calls: the Govtech collab call and the
   Marketing task force call

   The Govtech call will be every other Tuesday at 12UTC

   The Marketing TF call on Thursdays at 14UTC, Kaz to provide
   updated webex coords

   <kaz> ACTION: kaz to allocate new webex for govtech and
   marketing

   McCool: I had a meeting regarding the Conexxus retail event,
   which is reorganising. The proof of concept is being worked on

   We have some people at Fraunhofer working on discovery and
   directory service for the web of things - we will invite them
   to next week's call

   This Friday and the following Monday are holidays in some
   countries and we're cancelling our calls on those days. Michael
   will email on this

   Our REC transition will now happen on April 9 :-)

   The press release is ready and we should reach out on social
   media to let people know

   There is a small change we want to make to Jeff's quote

   The document will be at
   www.w3.org/2020/04/pressrelease-wot-rec.html.en

   (currently limited to W3C staff only)

   The REC documents are ready to be moved into place

   Kaz has run the pub rules checker, and everything is fine

   McCool: thanks Kaz on the group's behalf

June Face to Face

   Please cancel your travel if you haven't already done so

   We're working on the plans for a virtual event as the
   replacement

   More details at on the WoT IG wiki

   <McCool> [15]https://doodle.com/poll/gucnmwm87khskxfm

     [15] https://doodle.com/poll/gucnmwm87khskxfm

   Kaz invites everyone to respond to the doodle poll for your
   availability for the online meetings

   McCool: reiterates the importance for people to give their
   input

   Please use the don't prefer but can make option as appropriate

   Dave: we may want to look at how other groups at W3C are
   planning virtual events, e.g. Dom's planned workshop

   McCool: we're looking for someone to host the VPN for the
   duration of the meeting

   for use for the plugfest

   Koster: what's the stable long term solution ?

   McCool: a permanent host would be valuable, let's talk more in
   the testing call following this one

   Dave: we could ask the W3C systems team and it would be easy
   enough to get a virtual machine

   <kaz> kaz: as I mentioned during the plugfest call last week, I
   can check with the System team as well, but we'd like to look
   into Softether's capability first

   Koster: we should start with what we need and could later
   disable lower layers ...

   McCool: there is likely to be others with a similar need

   Koster: I have asked some people but so far no luck

TPAC

   <kaz> +1 to clarify our requirements

   TPAC is still planned as a physical meeting

   But that may change.

   McCool: we should start to plan for next year's meetings

Developer outreach

   W3C doesn't provide technical implementations, and in general
   there is a question around developer outreach.

   W3C should be agnostic and encourage use of multiple
   implementations

   McCool cites developer interest via Ege's issue

   Examples include node-wot and node-gen for node-RED

   <kaz> [16]related issue on wot-marketing repo

     [16] https://github.com/w3c/wot-marketing/issues/52

   Let's discuss further in the marketing call

Protocol Bindings

   We need vocabularies for CoAP and MQTT. Where should these be
   specified. There is an issue for this.

   This is not a normative topic in our charter

   <kaz> [17]related issue on wot-thing-description repo

     [17] https://github.com/w3c/wot-binding-templates/issues/93

   We have external interest in moving this forward

   (IETF, OASIS and Eclipse Foundation)

   Ege: we need to provide good arguments if we want to get other
   organisations to pick this up

   McCool: also Open API

   Koster: if people want to use WoT TDs they will be motivated to
   have the vocab for their favourite protocols

   we're adding value to the MQTT community, so we have a case to
   make

   McCool: we can publish a WG Note as a short term solution

   Koster: WoT TDs provide a means to annotate use of MQTT etc.

   McCool: we need to capture the use cases

   <kaz> [18]McCool's comment

     [18] https://github.com/w3c/wot-binding-templates/issues/93#issuecomment-610938470

   Koster: let's add a use case around MQTT

   McCool: I will leave this on the agenda for next week's call

   Kaz: I completely agree with this approach

Task Force reports

   McCool: let's see what people have to report

   Zoltan: we had a good discussion in the scripting TF relating
   to protocol binding

   I have a pull request for people to review

   scribe: main addresses the issues raised by Ege

   <McCool> [19]https://github.com/w3c/wot-scripting-api/pull/209

     [19] https://github.com/w3c/wot-scripting-api/pull/209

   McCool: For the security TF, it isn't clear that configuration
   is adequate yet, so we need to look at those

   The marketing TF call last week focused on the press release

   Kaz asks Koster about the quote from SmartThings for the press
   release

   Koster: I am chasing it ...

   McCool: we also need to spend more time on the website design

   For architecture TF, we're discussing life cycle and use cases

   <kaz> [20]td minutes

     [20] https://www.w3.org/2020/04/03-wot-td-minutes.html

   <Ege>
   [21]https://github.com/w3c/wot-thing-description/issues/888

     [21] https://github.com/w3c/wot-thing-description/issues/888

   <Ege>
   [22]https://github.com/w3c/wot-thing-description/issues/887

     [22] https://github.com/w3c/wot-thing-description/issues/887

   Ege: for the TD TF we talked about efficient formats and
   whether writing to an observable property should generate an
   event

   <Ege>
   [23]https://github.com/w3c/wot-thing-description/issues/878

     [23] https://github.com/w3c/wot-thing-description/issues/878

   Ege: and how to describe an initial connection ("reached")

   <Ege> [24]https://github.com/w3c/wot-binding-templates/pull/95

     [24] https://github.com/w3c/wot-binding-templates/pull/95

   For Binding Templates see pull request 95 (link above)

   this has been reviewed and will probably be merged in a week's
   time

   <kaz> kaz: OAuth2 and protocol vocabulary as well

   McCool: I do want to have a plugfest call immediately after
   this call (with a gap of 5 mins)
   ... end of meeting ...

Summary of Action Items

   [NEW] ACTION: kaz to allocate new webex for govtech and
   marketing

Summary of Resolutions

   [End of minutes]
     __________________________________________________________


    Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by
    David Booth's [25]scribe.perl version 1.154 ([26]CVS log)
    $Date: 2020/04/29 12:07:57 $

     [25] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
     [26] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/
Received on Thursday, 30 April 2020 01:09:07 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Thursday, 30 April 2020 01:09:08 UTC