W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-wot-ig@w3.org > April 2020

[wot-marketing] minutes - 12 March 2020

From: Kazuyuki Ashimura <ashimura@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2020 17:19:26 +0900
Message-ID: <874ku3vcs1.wl-ashimura@w3.org>
To: public-wot-ig@w3.org, public-wot-wg@w3.org
available at:
  https://www.w3.org/2020/03/12-wot-marketing-minutes.html

also as text below.

Thanks a lot for taking th minutes, Michael McCool!

Kazuyuki

---
   [1]W3C

      [1] http://www.w3.org/

                               - DRAFT -

                             WoT-Marketing

12 Mar 2020

   [2]Agenda

      [2] https://www.w3.org/WoT/IG/wiki/Marketing_WebConf#Agenda

Attendees

   Present
          Kaz_Ashimura, Daneil_Peintner, Ege_Korkan,
          Kunihiko_Toumura, Michael_Lagally, Michael_McCool,
          Taki_Kamiya, Tomoaki_Mizushima, Ryuichi_Matsukura,
          dezell, David_Ezell

   Regrets

   Chair
          Sebastian

   Scribe
          McCool, kaz

Contents

     * [3]Topics
         1. [4]Agenda
         2. [5]Press release
         3. [6]Previous minutes
         4. [7]Twitter account
         5. [8]Virtual F2F meeting
         6. [9]Building IoT
         7. [10]Link Smart project
         8. [11]Twitter redux
     * [12]Summary of Action Items
     * [13]Summary of Resolutions
     __________________________________________________________

   <kaz> scribenick: McCool

Agenda

   Sebastian: agenda: same as last week

   <ege> [14]https://github.com/w3c/wot-marketing/issues/17 is the
   twitter issue

     [14] https://github.com/w3c/wot-marketing/issues/17

   mccool: add f2f schedule for marketing

Press release

   <kaz> [15]latest draft

     [15] https://w3c.github.io/wot-marketing/pressrelease-wot-rec.html

   McCool: meeting with W3M

   <inserted> scribenick: kaz

   McCool: suggestion was deleting the deliverables section
   ... but need examples of applications
   ... concrete example for business impacts
   ... another point is possible testimonial from Singapore
   ... Alan can review the updated one
   ... we should have the marketing call at the regular time on
   Thursday
   ... for press release discussion
   ... maybe a few of us to update the draft
   ... we need examples
   ... of products which people build systems on
   ... would be great to get initial write-up

   Sebastian: tx for your feedback
   ... sounds good
   ... would take some more time, though

   <inserted> scribenick: McCool

   Sebastian: not unhappy with putting off the pr
   ... with the coronavirus people are distracted anyway
   ... would also be very cool to get more examples and
   testimonials
   ... we should also ask SmartThings
   ... so imo we should take the time to improve the press release

   <kaz> [16]fyi, statically version

     [16] https://cdn.statically.io/gh/w3c/wot-marketing/039655a9/docs/pressrelease-wot-rec.html

   Sebastian: and looking forward to the feedback from Alan Bird
   ... and Siemens can provide some details on our product

   McCool: very important at this point that we get more examples
   of practical applications and products

   Sebastian: also, looking at the pr, there is still a bug with
   the image not rendering right in firefox

   McCool: we know about the bug, we should fix it

   Kaz: let's deal with it separately

   Lagally: not sure about delaying the press release
   ... do think it makes sense to another round of editing
   ... but we should not wait until the coronavirus problem is
   over
   ... in the IT world people are still working

   McCool: W3M is to take at most 2wks to complete the revisions

   Lagally: ok, understood; not concerned about 2wks

   Kaz: ok with decision to delay pressrelease and emphasis on
   business impact since I've been also suggesting we should
   emphasize the business impact part
   ... but we should be careful about how to update the impact
   section
   ... for example, we should mention some possible use cases to
   describe "what would be useful" to use WoT for IoT

   McCool: should include specific use cases

   Kaz: right. I think we should include both the current status
   and the near-future expected situation

   Lagally: in the arch spec we do have a number of target domains
   ... where the spec would be useful

   McCool: some statistical information would be useful, even a
   "yes/no" about whether a company is working on a product, with
   no details

   Sebastian: so summary is, Alan is working on some input by next
   Tuesday, will join us next Thurs
   ... in the meantime, we need to collect more statements and
   elaborate upon examples
   ... and we can also get some more testimonials

   Sebastian: eg from Singapore (Smart City) and Smart Things
   (Smart Home)
   ... also Samsung is also involved in an EU project; may be some
   WoT committment there, need to ask
   ... will ask Michael Koster

Previous minutes

   <kaz> [17]Mar-5 minutes

     [17] https://www.w3.org/2020/03/05-wot-marketing-minutes.html

   Sebastian: reviewed last week's minutes; mostly press release
   ... any objections to making these public?
   ... hearing none, we will make these public now

Twitter account

   <ege> can we postpone the twitter for 5-10 minutes? I am on a
   call sadly

   Sebastian: ok, let's postpone this

Virtual F2F meeting

   <kaz> [18]virtual f2f agenda

     [18] https://www.w3.org/WoT/IG/wiki/F2F_meeting,_16-19_March_2020,_Online

   Sebastian: will have marketing call at the usual time next
   week, but will use the F2F webex
   ... will have to make sure we let Alan know and put a note in
   the Marketing wiki

   <kaz> ACTION: kaz to allocate a dedicated 4-day webex for the
   virtual f2f

Building IoT

   Sebastian: shared with you my slides
   ... did a small verbal survey
   ... show of hands
   ... also did a livesurvey after talk
   ... no vote that said they were NOT interested
   ... all responders wanted more information
   ... and three votes that said they were interested in joining
   the WG
   ... including Bosch, which are planning to join the group
   ... they are especially interested in discovery

   McCool: (note to self: make sure Kevin from Bosch also knows
   about the webex change...()

   Lagally: great news that Bosch is joining
   ... would like to know more about the conference
   ... industry, audience, etc.

   <kaz> [19]Sebastian's slides (Member-only)

     [19] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-archive/2020Mar/att-0213/2020_buildingIoT_WoT_sebastian_kaebisch.pdf

   Sebastian: just German IoT community; small, about 150
   participants
   ... both small and large companies, but a good mix
   ... HiveMq, tarent (also possibly interested in joining), etc.

   <sebastian> [20]https://www.buildingiot.de/programm.php?source=

     [20] https://www.buildingiot.de/programm.php?source=

   Sebastian: organized by Heise online; well-known IoT news
   source in Germany

   Lagally: it was technical people?

   Sebastian: less business, more technical
   ... so more of a developer conference

   McCool: any possibility of a blog?

   Sebastian: unfortunately won't have the time...
   ... can use twitter though

   Kaz: current page does have a section for a news update
   ... would be nice if you could add one sentence there

   <kaz> [21]wg page

     [21] https://www.w3.org/WoT/WG/

   Sebastian: would rather focus on twitter...

   McCool: and get a twitter feed to show up on those pages...

   Sebastian: exactly

Link Smart project

   Sebastian: there is a GitHub repo on the "Link Smart" project
   which seems to use WoT
   ... we should reach out to them

   McCool: since they are German, perhaps sebastian should reach
   out?

   Sebastian: yes, I intend to

   Kaz: reasonable to invite them to the virtual F2F next week and
   the WG call

   Sebastian: I think they are already a W3C member

   Kaz: but not in the WG

   Sebastian: they are also developing a thing directory; so maybe
   should also be contributing to discovery

   Taki: also working with them on IETF TF
   ... had also search about this; I will also look into it
   ... my contact is with another person at Fraunhofer to try and
   get information and contacts

   <sebastian> [22]https://linksmart.eu

     [22] https://linksmart.eu/

   <sebastian> [23]https://github.com/linksmart/thing-directory

     [23] https://github.com/linksmart/thing-directory

Twitter redux

   see issue #17

   [24]https://github.com/w3c/wot-marketing/issues/17

     [24] https://github.com/w3c/wot-marketing/issues/17

   Ege: many groups have twitter accounts
   ... can distribute small updates and notes, such as changes to
   specs, etc.
   ... can then embed feed into other places, like the web page
   ... marcom wants it to start with W3C_

   McCool: does capitalization matter for twitter handles?

   Dape: no, I don't think so

   McCool: good

   Ege: so suggest we use W3C_WoT

   McCool: let's go with W3C_WoT and then test if it works

   <Zakim> dape, you wanted to "who" creates the twitter account,
   we ?

   Dape: who will create it?

   Kaz: let's continue discussion with Coralie on this thread

   McCool: so, who is allowed to post? Hopefully not just
   marketing
   ... I think at least chairs and editors

   proposal: to ask that a twitter account with the name W3C_WoT
   be created, with at minimum WoT WG chairs and editors given the
   rights to post

   RESOLUTION: to ask that a twitter account with the name W3C_WoT
   be created, with at minimum WoT WG chairs and editors given the
   rights to post

   Ege: I just checked, indeed twitter handles are
   case-insensitive

   Sebastian: next week we will continue discussion of press
   release, and if time we will look at web content

   McCool: since it will be the F2F, I think we should also put
   aside time for planning and to discuss next steps

   Kaz: you mean we could use the possible remaining time during
   the Marketing call at 9am EDT on Thursday. right?

   McCool: yes

   Kaz: please note there will be two team-internal calls on 19th
   ... so may have to move the marketing meeting earlier to avoid
   the conflict

   McCool: how about we do marketing first, then node-wot

   Kaz: will check with Alan and Philippe about doing that

   [adjourned]

Summary of Action Items

   [NEW] ACTION: kaz to allocate a dedicated 4-day webex for the
   virtual f2f

Summary of Resolutions

    1. [25]to ask that a twitter account with the name W3C_WoT be
       created, with at minimum WoT WG chairs and editors given
       the rights to post

   [End of minutes]
     __________________________________________________________


    Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by
    David Booth's [26]scribe.perl version 1.154 ([27]CVS log)
    $Date: 2020/04/01 08:16:37 $

     [26] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
     [27] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/
Received on Wednesday, 1 April 2020 08:19:34 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Wednesday, 1 April 2020 08:19:34 UTC