Re: Seeking WebSocket proposal team

> On 24 Oct 2016, at 11:54, Kovatsch, Matthias <matthias.kovatsch@siemens.com> wrote:
>
> Which platforms actually use WebSockets for communication?

WebSockets is widely used for web applications.

I previously gave a pointer to the experimental work I did that implemented the Web of things over WebSockets.

> How do people communicate over WebSockets? Is it a random protocol invented to connect two parts of the same application or is there something that can actually span multiple applications, vendors, and domains?

Why do you say “random”?

WebSockets was created to support bi-directional asynchronous messaging for Web applications, and something that is less likely to be blocked by firewalls.  Its message framing capability puts it at a higher level than TCP, and its flexibility has proved to be very useful.

To answer your question on how WebSockets are being used across applications, vendors and domains, we could consider conducting a poll of web developers, or reaching out to web developer communities for their input.

—
   Dave Raggett <dsr@w3.org <mailto:dsr@w3.org>>