RE: WoT IG Teleconference Nov 16th, 2016

Dear WoT-IG members,

1 week ago, in IG teleconference, how to treat wide variety of device
class, that is,  from less resources sensors to rich intelligent devices
which can be web server by themselves.

At that time,
>Specific issues
> Classification of devices is defined in IETF(answering Uday's question)  Proposal of introducing class concept in WoT.
> In the architecture document, many implementation pattern is described depend on device class which has >constraint. Then each device ability is represented and declared in TD.
> This issue is discussed in TD.(Kajimoto)  How to treat constraint device is discussed in e-mail first kicked by Kajimoto.

But unfortunately, I've not input, so yesterday's meeting the same issue
came up again in the scripting API context.

Honestly, I'm embarrassed on this classification issue.

In the WoT architecture document https://w3c.github.io/wot/architecture/wot-architecture.html,
IG members discussion has reflected how to treat wide variety of devices.

I'm confused the scope of WoT standardization.

SDOs such as Echonet Consortium, OCF, oneM2M covers very wide variety of devices
by introducing device class, device type...
Because such SDOs treats not only virtual device in cyber space but communication to/from concrete device.

In WoT, we've discussed lo long time on the scope of standardization.
Of course all of IG contributors are aware of there are wide variety of device class.
But in cyber space which is Web technology's main stage, in spite of there are big difference
of resource and abilities of devices, we could conclude common architecture.

Please guess the implementation of sensor's connection to internet.
In order to access the sensor, some intelligent GW and/or cloud-based server which aggregates
the access to/from sensors and play as cyber sensor on behalf of physical sensor.

On the other hand, Raspberry pie attached sensors, CHRIMEN, which has high speed CPU and
Relatively rich memory spaces can provide direct internet connectivity and play as WoT Server by itself.

So, the variety of device class is reflected in implementation examples in architecture document.
And the scope of WoT standardization is focused building blocks of WoT servient in cyber space.

IG guys, please consider this discussion history.

BR,