Re: [TF-AP]: Using CoAP for bi-directional communication

From: Carsten Bormann <cabo@tzi.org>
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2015 16:12:05 +0200
To: "Nilsson, Claes1" <Claes1.Nilsson@sonymobile.com>
CC: "public-wot-ig@w3.org" <public-wot-ig@w3.org>
Generally, yesterday's IPv4 NATs require the use of TCP for reasonably
efficient NAT traversal.  The need for supporting that legacy is one of
the two reasons why we are standardizing CoAP over TCP (the other one is
for backend usage).

Websockets is not a protocol I would expect to see used on a constrained
device.  (There is indeed a draft specification for CoAP over
Websockets, but that is really for use in Web browsers, which as of
today don't speak CoAP over UDP or DTLS directly.)

Grüße, Carsten