Re: [use cases] organisation of use case contributions [was: rough taxonomy]

 Dear All,
Edward Curry and I, from Insight Centre at National University of Ireland,
Galway, have worked on a use case for Home Water Awareness and Conservation.
It is based on our experience with the EU project WATERNOMICS.
Here is the updated list, and below are the use case details.

Volunteer                           Use Case Title
                               UC Category

———————————————————————————————————————————————————

Dave                     Smart control of washing machine          smart
home / home automation / deferred operation

Joerg                    EV
Charging                                                      smart cities
/ smart grid / advanced distribution / devices adapt supply

Robert Kleinfeld            Universal discovery and control of smart home
devices          smart home / home automation / discovery / interactions

Edoardo Pignotti The Oxford Flood Network                 smart cities/
other utilities/ Monitoring water levels for flood warnings

Souleiman Hasan & Edward Curry     Home Water Awareness and Conservation
  smart home / home automation / water usage

Best,

Souleiman
======================================Home Water Awareness and Conservation
(Main Questions)
What is the user motivation for the use case

John is keen to lower his water footprint to feel he is helping with saving
water, a scarce resource nationally and globally, and to save money on his
water bill.

John's dishwasher has various programs that can consume various amounts of
water.

John sets monthly targets of water consumption for himself which dictate
his consumption behaviour, such as his usage of the dishwasher.
How does this translate to a technical Description

Water sensors are attached to various water consumption things at John's
place, e.g. taps, shower, dishwasher, washing machine, etc.

Sensors' readings of water consumption can be pulled through a firewall or
pushed by the sensors to a cloud service.

A Home Water Management Provider (HWMP) provides a cloud service that does
simple aggregations over water consumption in John's house.

The HWMP service communicates with the water sensors through Web protocols.

John can easily access his home water Web based application through a
laptop or phone to set his target for the month.

When John opens his dishwasher, it can access John's HWMP service and
recommend the best schedule and program to meet his target.
What application domains are related (e.g. referring to the taxonomy)

·         main: smart home / home automation / water usage

·         related: smart home / home automation / Smart watering systems
indoors and outdoors
What interaction pattern with or btw things can be observed

·         Things catalogue: thing register with the Home Water Management
Provider (HWMP )'s catalogue in the cloud under John's house entry.

·         John interacts with a Web based agent, a frontend interface to
the HWMP service of water consumption and target in John's house.

·         John interacts with a water consumption thing (e.g. dishwasher)
through the control panel and screen.

·         Thing (dishwasher) pulls ready-to-serve data and recommendation
from the HWMP service and presents to John.
Which aspects are not considered

·         Life cycle of devices, services and applications

·         Data analysis models of services

·         Discovery of things

·         Installation of sensors

 Home Water Awareness and Conservation (For Template)
Use case description (Required)

·         Get aware of domestic water consumption, set personal targets
based on that,  and be able to make informed decision when using a water
consumption thing such as a dishwasher.

·         Features include getting realtime updates from water consumption
things such as taps and shower, set water consumption targets, recommend
thing's usage behaviour to the user such as when and what program to use at
a dishwasher.

·         Target Use: Home

·         Category: smart home / home automation / water usage
Assumptions (Required)

·         Water consumption things at home shall be equipped with water
sensors. Things include:  taps, shower, dishwasher, washing machine, etc.

·         John's dishwasher has various programs that can consume various
amounts of water.
Usage scenario (Required)

·         John has installed networked water consumption things at his
place such as his dishwasher, and installed simple networked water usage
sensors on other things like taps and shower.

·         John subscribes with a Home Water Management Provider (HWMP) that
provides him with simple method to connect his water consumption sensors to
the HWMP service through the sensors Web interfaces.

·         The Home Water Management Provider service does simple
aggregations to establish the water consumption realtime stats of John's
house.

·         John opens a Web based application on his smartphone that is
served by his Home Water Management Provider and sets his water consumption
target for the month.

·         John opens the dishwasher to load it.

·         John's dishwasher accesses the HWMP service to know the
consumption stats and usage targets, and recommend a suitable program for
John to meet his target through a small screen.

·         John can adjust his usage of water through various resources to
keep up with the target.
Technical requirements / topics (Required)

·         Web access interfaces to things in order to configure them with a
URL of a service that they can use to send data to.

·         Push mechanism of data from sensors to cloud services.

·         Pull mechanism of data from a cloud service into a thing, e.g.
dishwasher.

·         Cloud catalogue of things under an entry like John's house.
Additional data (Optional)

·         None
Justification (Required)

·         Users are keen to lower their water footprint to feel they are
helping with saving water, a scarce resource nationally and globally, and
to save money on their water bill.
Comments (Optional)

·         None
UC submitter / supporter (Optional)

·         Souleiman Hasan and Edward Curry (Insight Centre for Data
Analytics at National University of Ireland, Galway)