[whatwg] rel=bookmark

From: Ed Summers <ehs@pobox.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2017 21:06:57 -0400
To: whatwg@whatwg.org
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone can provide any information, or a pointer to previous discussion, about why the bookmark link relation can't be used with the <link> element [1].

The topic has come up recently on the IETF link-relations discussion list [2] where a new link relation has been proposed to encourage persistent linking [3]. The proposed 'identifier' relation seems to closely resemble the idea of a permalink (a persistent link) that can be found in the definition of bookmark. If bookmark allowed use with the <link> element then I think there would be less of a demonstrated need for the new 'identifier' link relation.

Thanks for any information you can provide. I apologize if I'm restarting a conversation that has already happened.

//Ed

[1] https://www.w3.org/TR/html5/links.html#link-type-bookmark
[2] https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/link-relations/current/msg00670.html
[3] https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-vandesompel-identifier/