Re: [whatwg] Should navigator.language and and/or HTTP Accept-Language include locale?

From: Geoffrey Garen <ggaren@apple.com>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2016 19:50:16 -0700
To: Михаил Гаврилов <mikhail.v.gavrilov@gmail.com>
Cc: Nils Dagsson Moskopp <nils@dieweltistgarnichtso.net>, WHAT Working Group <whatwg@whatwg.org>, Phil Pizlo <fpizlo@apple.com>, Alexey Proskuryakov <ap@apple.com>
> I'm afraid that bind regional setting to interface language is not
> correct. For example, I prefer the English language interface (it's
> easier to write bug reports, search in Google documentation), but I
> need the russian regional settings (number format, date format and
> time format) for input controls. Expected behaiour that regional
> settings would be inherited from OS settings.

My claim is that if you want English language with Russian regional settings then browsers must report “en-ru” in navigator.language.

My reasoning is that many website authors use navigator.language to infer locale. So, if navigator.language reports “en-us”, you will get US regional settings on many websites.

Geoff