Re: [whatwg] Canvas and color colorspaces (was: WebGL and ImageBitmaps)

On Sat, Apr 30, 2016 at 6:35 PM, Ron Waldon <jokeyrhyme@gmail.com> wrote:

> What if we could just declare the colour-space that content uses, and
> allow the browser to make a best-effort translation if the current display
> uses a different colour-space?

That is pretty much the situation in Safari today.
My original points are about some deficiencies in the canvas implementation
for this workflow.

> This way, we don't need to expose colour profiles or other fingerprinting
> details to JavaScript code. That code can just declare that it uses Adobe
> sRGB (which might be the default if not specified?), and the browser can
> apply a transform as needed depending on the hardware.

I am not convinced that this is a fingerprinting concern, especially if we
just allow generic names for profiles.
Certainly the additions to CSS wrt color and media queries allow you to
infer the used profile