Re: [whatwg] Canvas and color colorspaces (was: WebGL and ImageBitmaps)

From: Ron Waldon <jokeyrhyme@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 01 May 2016 01:35:45 +0000
To: Rik Cabanier <cabanier@gmail.com>, Kornel <kornel@geekhood.net>
Cc: "whatwg@whatwg.org" <whatwg@whatwg.org>
What if we could just declare the colour-space that content uses, and allow
the browser to make a best-effort translation if the current display uses a
different colour-space?

This way, we don't need to expose colour profiles or other fingerprinting
details to JavaScript code. That code can just declare that it uses Adobe
sRGB (which might be the default if not specified?), and the browser can
apply a transform as needed depending on the hardware.

The declaration could be a MIME-type parameter, for visual content
delivered via HTTP, or there could be a Canvas attribute or constructor
option. /shrug